Eczema soap recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew someone who had the water allergy. It's wasn't as severe as that article states it can be but it was no picnic either! She felt it most when she showered. It didn't look like washing her hands was too bad for her.

She took allergy medicine everyday and would shower for shorter periods of time. She said it appeared out of nowhere in conjunction with other allergies. She always looked clean and never smelled bad at all (if you were wondering). It was obvious that she was very good about hygiene despite her allergy. She also said she only used one type of soap/shampoo that she knew she was good with and never switched just in case.

She was in one of my chemistry labs in college and was 20 years old. It came up when I was talking about soap making and being able to customize recipes for people with known allergies. So, she sprung that one on me. I couldn't believe it until she started explaining it.

Cmazha knows what she it talking about. My grandchild and my son both have eczema and respond very well to lard/tallow/low Co (it is always low in my case) and the oatmeal in it. I have atopic dermatitis so I have to watch like a hawk what I am putting on my skin. I started pretty simple, and I was adding some things that do not flare it out; like kaolin. oatmeal. For me milks soaps seems to calm down the condition and my lotions too. Eczema, not matter what kind it is, needs to be respected and treated very gently. gentle soap and a lot of moisturizing
Most people do not ask for help to make the soap for themselves, most of them want to sell Eczema Soap, not taking the responsibility. In my country you do not make medical claims with soap. It is possible to make it, but it is long process. No one would put something like Eczema Soap on label, it would be frown about:))

Last edited:
Holy crap! And I thought the people allergic to the sun had it bad? You can live without sunlight; but, how the heck do you live without water? That article said some people with this allergy have reactions to THEIR OWN TEARS! :confused:

I can't imagine either... poor souls. :?

I forgot to mention in my previous post, but I get sun urticaria every spring all over my arms and legs. I've had it since I was 12.

It's not that bad, I usually have to end up using cortisone cream as it's verrry itchy and it scars if I scratch too much. I wear long sleeves, long pants and tonnes of sunscreen. But at least I can shower after I end up super sweaty in long clothes on 35-40C weather. Sometimes I feel like I'm a vampire. I have heavy tinting on my car, don't go out much in summer, beach is a no no but I think I consider my self sort of lucky, I couldn't live without water. :/

Just have to thank you all so much about talking about eczema...:) Mine decided to raise it ugly head again, actually hands again. For 18 years after shutting down my beauty shop my hands have not had one spot of eczema. Suddenly 2 weeks ago it decided to hit my hands out of the blue. Now 7 fingers are looking like they have been burnt. :-( I was thinking it was the shea in some lotions I had been testing, but nope I have not touched shea in 2 weeks and it is not improving, so I shall be heading to the doc and see if there are any new treatments available. Eighteen years of peace with my hands not flaring up had me very spoiled.

Just have to thank you all so much about talking about eczema...:) Mine decided to raise it ugly head again, actually hands again. For 18 years after shutting down my beauty shop my hands have not had one spot of eczema. Suddenly 2 weeks ago it decided to hit my hands out of the blue. Now 7 fingers are looking like they have been burnt. :-( I was thinking it was the shea in some lotions I had been testing, but nope I have not touched shea in 2 weeks and it is not improving, so I shall be heading to the doc and see if there are any new treatments available. Eighteen years of peace with my hands not flaring up had me very spoiled.

Ouch Carolyn. You have my sympathy. Is it possible it's not a topical cause, but something you've eaten?

Oh no Carolyn, that is such a bummer. Reoccurring conditions that spring back out of nowhere just suck. It's like they know when you start to forget about them...

Hopefully the doctor has something that alleviates it quickly!

Ouch Carolyn. You have my sympathy. Is it possible it's not a topical cause, but something you've eaten?
Nope it is just my system. Have fought this since I was 2. No this is not atopic dermatitis it is my fouled up autoimmune system.

Oh no Carolyn, that is such a bummer. Reoccurring conditions that spring back out of nowhere just suck. It's like they know when you start to forget about them...

Hopefully the doctor has something that alleviates it quickly!
You have that right, just has to show who is boss and it is not me. Thankyou I know some never strong ointments have come out so maybe doc will get it. Certainly shows soap will not cure ezcema.

Allergies can be triggered by many conditions. By stress, medication, everything. Years ago I had an autoimmune disease( immune thrombocytopenic purpura for those who knows the terms) and I had to take corticosteroids for a year. I had the immune system weakened and the corticosteroids triggered an allergy to the sun. I could't stay in any sunny location even for five minutes and had eczema like big red itchy spots in all my body parts that was reached by sunlight. That year was an horror for me. Passed that year I had a surgery(splenectomy) and I stopped to take corticosteroids. And I stopped to have allergy to the sun.
The funny part is that corticosteroids are used as treatment for allergies too. And I made allergy to the sun because of using this anti-allergic treatment.
The same with soaps. Some people can develop eczema just because is triggered by a component from a synthetic soap. And when they stop using that synt. soap the eczema will cure. But some people can be allergic to one component and others can be allergic to other component. You have to personalize the soap to each person which suffers from eczema.
I'm not a doctor, but I learned this in the hard way.

I had allergies to paracetamol and to honey too, but these are another stories and I don't want to deviate too much from the subject.

You might consider a naked castille. A friend suffered from severe eczema and found it to be very helpful. Those benefit from an extended cure time (traditionally one year), so perhaps ask a seller here if they have any for sale to give it a try. :)

My DH has eczema and dermatologists suggest Castile (100 % olive oil).
No fragrance and no colours. I love Castile but you need to wait at least 6 months for it to harden so it doesn't wash down the sink. After one year it is better and after 2 it is great. We use EVOO.

I also make OO with 1 - 50% salt which helps my dh's skin but his eczema is the type that benefits from salt as long as it is washed off his skin.

Eczema is a frustrating condition that has various causes and expressions in different people. There is no one cure for eczema because of that.

Lard soap is not good for everyone but then as everyone says, everything is an allergen to someone.

Last edited:
I feel like I walked into a firing squad here. I honestly was just looking for something soothing and moisturizing. I'm not sure where everyone got the idea I was out to make a super soap, or that I don't let it cure long enough. I do ask about allergies... I apparently hit a nerve though. I came here to ask about this BECAUSE I am new to this, but wasn't quite ready for some of the replies.

I feel like I walked into a firing squad here. I honestly was just looking for something soothing and moisturizing. I'm not sure where everyone got the idea I was out to make a super soap, or that I don't let it cure long enough. I do ask about allergies... I apparently hit a nerve though. I came here to ask about this BECAUSE I am new to this, but wasn't quite ready for some of the replies.

Reading through, I don't see what would be a problem. People have said not to use certain ingredients as well as spoken generally about allergies.

This topic does hit a nerve, mainly because what you were looking for (soothing and moisturising) is not always going to help someone that you are trying to help.

You can take the replies personally OR you can see this thread as being chock-full of tips for you, including some recipes that are likely to help your friend.

I don't see anything that would be attacking towards you either. I think folks were very responsive and gave some excellent advice and some even personal experiences as well as a recipe suggestion. You can take the information now and come up with a nice gental bar with the knowledge of what to maybe not use to make a good bar of soap.

Please try to use virgin olive oil infused with calendula and plaintain ; weed
Give it a try Cmzaha, i am soo sorry you have to go through it. Age does not help us either. eh life..........

I'm new here as well, but I don't think anyone was attacking you. The way I read it is that they were giving you warnings and advice from their experiences. It was an interesting read to me and I learned allot from it, so maybe try to re-read the thread and see what you can learn about the soap you want to try making. :)

I think when something is new to a person, the waves of information washing in appear more like how a toddler would perceive them -- perhaps a little scary or overwhelming. As time goes on and a person grows in knowledge, the waves are seen for what they are ... just waves lapping over one's toes.

Everyone is giving good advice and trying to help you see the matter more accurately and realistically. I don't see any disparagement or attack at all. That said, I can appreciate from your perspective that the abundance of information and advice might be a bit overwhelming.

When I was new here, the waves of information were a tad overwhelming. I solved this by taking one response at the time and breaking it down to the information I could glean from it. Wrote that down with who said it, and then take the time to absorb that. Then just move on to the next. This took the feeling of being attacked away, and still let me get that information.

The other issue is that often we are telling you to do what you decided to do. You are, after all, an adult, who makes decisions for yourself. Please understand that we have all been where you are, and we have learned some hard lessons the hard way. We are trying to save you from those hard lessons.

Making soap is not like making any other craft. If you learn to paint, and give someone a painting, it will not harm anyone's health in any way. Soap can trigger allergies. And eczema. It is a problem when you do not know what they are allergic to, and you do not know what you are doing yet.

Latest posts

Back