Mom needs help. . . .

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kitterz

Reaction score
Hi all,

My mom is having a bit of a problem with her face at the moment. She currently uses a Clinique face wash and moisturizer, but seems to be suffering with a type of eczema, only on her face.

I have told her that it could be the products she is using and would like to try and make a face wash or moisturizer for her that is a little more natural. I told her to try something new and was wondering if anyone had any recipes they could share with me?

She only seems to have problems on her face at this stage. Can anyone help?

First step, I would try just some plain, unscented, well-aged soap.

I made some that had rosemary EO in it and that helped with that person's excema.

Also, pine tar soap.

I am going to preface this with I am no expert, or doctor, but I have suffered from eczema all my life. I would first tell her to use only cetaphil or something comparable. Not the soap, the cream wash stuff. You lather it on like lotion then wipe it off or rinse. I personally like the wipe off method as it leaves me a bit moisturized and I can avoid using any thing else that might risk a reaction. Once her skin calms down she can then try something new, but she probably needs to get back to point zero first.

I use Genny's shampoo bar for my facial soap and it works really nice but first she needs to get rid of the reaction.

I wish her luck, I know all too well what a struggle it is.

Susie, it is mostly on her cheeks but at the moment has spread up to just under her eyes.

She said it is not worse after being in the sun. It will flare up really bad for a week or two and then calms down and then back again.

Just had a look at her face wash etc and she is using the Clinique 3 step system.

I am not a medical professional. This is just my personal experience with a skin condition...

Is it mainly flakey and red on the sides of chin, between eyebrows and nose folds? If so, she should go see a dermatologist as that might be dermatitis. It feels like itchy skin that you can feel growing (super weird sensation). I used to get flareups if I was stressed out and changing environments. Travel to humid areas drove me bonkers. I have a fairly mild case, but it was impacting my life.

Cetaphil as a cleanser can help. That's all I use now on recommendation from my doctor. As can staying far, far away from anything oily (including BB creams). It feels like you want to put creams on it, but that's the absolute worst thing for it. Staying away from all foundation makeup was very helpful for me.

If traveling, I found that a pure honey mask over the affected areas helped for a short time. I would end up heading back to my hotel at lunch to redo the mask.

I fiddled with a ton of natural remedies for a long time, and *really* wanted them to work. Then I went to a dermatologist, got a diagnosis, got a couple of pills for flare-ups and a prescription cream for everyday. My mild case is completely held in check, and I don't have the pain or embarrassment it was causing me.

Hugs to your Mom! I wish her the best.

I would suggest she head to her doctor. Not necessarily a dermatologist, but just her regular doctor. Rashes just on the face can be a sign of a serious medical condition, and those should be ruled out before assuming it is her skin care regimen.

If she has changed any medications she's taking, the rash could be caused by a reaction to that also. With dermatological issues we immediately think it's caused by something topically applied, but often can be from an internal source.

I am going to preface this with I am no expert, or doctor, but I have suffered from eczema all my life. I would first tell her to use only cetaphil or something comparable. Not the soap, the cream wash stuff. You lather it on like lotion then wipe it off or rinse. I personally like the wipe off method as it leaves me a bit moisturized and I can avoid using any thing else that might risk a reaction. Once her skin calms down she can then try something new, but she probably needs to get back to point zero first.

I use Genny's shampoo bar for my facial soap and it works really nice but first she needs to get rid of the reaction.

I wish her luck, I know all too well what a struggle it is.
Me too and my face only gets good old fashioned Water. I have never used soap and will not on my face. I used Cetaphil when I would be camping and get really dirty. Otherwise just water. Cetaphil is a good product

I agree with Susie, she needs to get checked by a doctor so she knows what she is dealing with. As far as washing, I would suggest a unscented/uncolored 50% OO, 50% lard bar, it will be very gentle.

I'm not much on dermatologists, but I can see some use in ruling out other issues, if you can do that.

In the meantime, Clinque is chemically nasty stuff, including chemicals other countries regard as carcinogenic (sorry, I'm a chemist I read the policy too much).

I concur with Obsidian, try a simple lard bar. The less in the soap, the less likely there is something she'll react to, if the problem is reacting to some component in the face wash.

I only use Grandma's Lye Soap (ingredients: lard and lye), but it's gotten way more pricey than it needs to be, and is kinda boring. Which is why I'm here. It's time I just made my own.

Thought id throw my experience out there. As of recently, I think I am developing excema on my face but mainly around my eyes. I have been using cetaphil lotion for nearly 10 years and love it. But since I've had this flare up of super dry skin, it doesn't help. I am going to go see a doctor this week, as it is getting so bad that it burns and I look like I've been punched in both eyes. I have tried everything natural possible, and nothing has helped as of yet. So I'm hoping to see a doctor to see if I need medicated cream.

I am almost positive clinque uses a lot of mineral oil. I know there is a lot of m.o haters but it can be useful in some formulas. I personally have a very bad reaction on my face to mineral oil. It came on rather suddenly, I had been using the same system for a few years. Boom one day my face decided it didn't like clinque any more. I now formulate my own moisturizers. Not to say that is what is going on in your mom's situation, just my experience. A visit to the Dr is a good start for sure.

wow, im surprised to see so many soap makers using cetaphil.

to the op, i would start by ditching the clinique and making her a good mild soap with no additives.

you can not do wrong with oat's water, make it at few hours before washing the face , she should go to doc, just in case. Tell you mom to ditch all the creams from big names. I had always problems with my skin on face due to allergies and constant dermaititis
Susan Barkley blog saved my skin :)) Over two years ago I started to use home made creams and lotions, and I had never had better skin. I use Gennys shampoo soap to wash my face as well. I do have the condition that I have to put sunblock on my face, so soap must be used when I am back inside, to wash off all the harsh chemicals in sunblock....
I had never been happy with Clinicue, or actually anything else. You can make a soap for her, but first dermatologist appointment:smile:

Tell her to get a tube of hydrocortisone cream. That should clear it up quickly.

I used Clinique when I was in my twenties and I really liked it. However, level 3 is for oily skin. It is quite drying. If she doesn't try or doesn't like handcrafted products then at the very least have her switch to level 1 or 2. One is for dry skin, two is normal, three is oily-combination, and four is the harshest for oily skin. I still use some of their cosmetics.

Tell her to get a tube of hydrocortisone cream. That should clear it up quickly.

With all due respect, I think we should be recommending the situation be assessed in person by a medical person, medications evaluated, and so forth before giving specific medical advice or recommending medication.

Cortisone can be really useful in difficult skin conditions, but it can also cause thinning of the skin, become difficult to stop using, CAUSE a rash or have no benefit at all, depending what is going on. (speaking as an ex-pharmacy tech).

I vote for the suggestions to see a doctor ASAP and to use a mild soap or cleanser (or just water) in the meantime to avoid further irritation. Once it's determined what is going on, the advice for soap options will be much more useful, I think, because it can address what is happening so much better.

Thanks all. I have suggested she see a doctor. . .she is stubborn though, so will see if she actually does it!!

Also will give her a bar of my oats soap and tell her to try that or nothing but water for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back