Dumb question....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuddinAndPeanuts

Reaction score
Right now, all of my body butters are made using only oils and butters. I'm considering an endeavor that would necessitate being able to ship them, so that would mean that I'd need to reformulate to something that can withstand heat in shipping- or something that isn't going to deflate and be grainy after it melts and sets up again. I want something thick like a body butter. Can that be done with lotions? By using standard stuff like alcohol, water, emulsifying wax and a preservative, can I get a product that fits this profile? Anyplace in particular that you recomend I go to educate myself on this process and look for existing recipes? Thanks guys!

Have you tried the swiftcraftymonkey bolg?

Only went one time, and I found the site difficult to navigate and understand, so ive never been back. But, to be fair- as I recall, it was very, very late, and it may well be that I was so tired that simple things may have been over my head. I'll definitely give them another look. Thank you!

I gree with PuddinAndPeanuts about the swiftcraftymonkey blog. Was there once and was never back...

If you don't want to take the time to go through her site then you may want to purchase a book from amazon. The so much information on swiftcraftymonkey. You can also purchase her ebook for lotions which is what I did. If you scroll down and look along the right side of her site there are a lot of links to her info.

Its late and my brains not working so im going to break this down into manageable pieces. take no offense, its exhaustion and caffeine wired talking. fwiw...

all of my body butters are made using only oils and butters.
cool

I'd need to reformulate to something that can withstand heat in shipping- or something that isn't going to deflate and be grainy after it melts and sets up again.
who says? why reformulate if your happy with your product? rethink the shipping. ship in cold weather only, ship with an ice pack. tell your customers to stock up in the spring because you dont ship above a certain temp.

I want something thick like a body butter. Can that be done with lotions?
yes but you already have that right?

By using standard stuff like alcohol, water, emulsifying wax and a preservative, can I get a product that fits this profile?
thats standard stuff? cringe. stick with the oil and butters. learn more about the different oils and butters and you can come up with formulations you hadnt considered that will do what you want it to do without all the extra crap eerm.. standard stuff...

Its late and my brains not working so im going to break this down into manageable pieces. take no offense, its exhaustion and caffeine wired talking. fwiw...

cool

who says? why reformulate if your happy with your product? rethink the shipping. ship in cold weather only, ship with an ice pack. tell your customers to stock up in the spring because you dont ship above a certain temp.

yes but you already have that right?

thats standard stuff? cringe. stick with the oil and butters. learn more about the different oils and butters and you can come up with formulations you hadnt considered that will do what you want it to do without all the extra crap eerm.. standard stuff...

Right now, I have an amazing formulation that I love. However, I thought of a marketing idea that would be more about the packaging than the product for most buyers. As long as I'm staying local, I can continue with my current formulation, but if I want to market it for wholesale elsewhere in the country, I have to be able to ship it, and do so cheaply any time of the year. Otherwise, I would more or less agree with you.

Latest posts

Back