First batch in the mold!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarekrow

Reaction score
OK so everything went well, traced up in about 10 min? but when I took out my immersion mixer, the blade guard had turned black from corrosion, I'm guessing it was chrome or aluminum? will that hurt my batch? It wasn't discolored in any way, just the guard was tarnished. thoughts, recommendations highly appreciated. please be gentle.

Olive oil 26oz
Coconut oil 4oz
water 11.4 oz
lye 4.10 (rounded down from 4.13, scaled only reads .05 increments)

Soap Bar Quality Your Recipe
Hardness 29
Cleansing 13
Conditioning 68
Bubbly 13
Creamy 16
Iodine 70
INS 136

Replace your SB with an el cheapo plastic one. The $10 or $12 one at walmart should do.

The soap ( I think) should be okay, just don't eat it. It may have some aluminum oxide in it.
The soap being a Bastille will need to cure for several months to harden up. Watch for signs of discoloration and DOS during the extended cure. The addition of metals even in trace amounts seems to contribute to DOS from the limited amount of reading I've done on it.

Steve

You say that as if it's edible otherwise lol. Uh is it? Not that I would. I will watch for spots but since this is for me I don't mind. Learning experience an all that. How many months? Zap test after two and keep track or are you talking 6+?

I have never zap tested a soap as I am not a masochist! [emoji2]
I give all my soaps 2 - 3 month cure because they are all high in OO and assume by the that they will be zap free.

The SB must be aluminium. You can use certain types of plastic or stainless steel, which will not corrode, to make soap.
Congratulations on your first batch! [emoji322]

Last edited:
Yeah it looked like SS , didn't even cross my mind it wouldn't be, oh well no great fortune was lost. :) sure was quiet tho, that's what I liked about it.. next batch i will try lard as my base fat. What can I expect with that?Also, do i need to get caught up with the trying to hover close to the minimum with the cleansing number? some recipe i want to try it's at 0.. i am assuming it will still get me clean, but will i wind up using half a bar per shower? lol

How long a bar lasts has more to do with length of cure and what oils were used, rather than your cleansing number. Long cure = longer lasting bar, with the exception of high CO bars. They melt away faster than anything else I have tried. Ironically, they also make about the most cleansing bars.

Lard makes great soap! *whispers, "Comesss to the lardy ssside, we have cookiesss (preciousss, my preciousss)!"*

Yeah, i just meant will it be so little cleansing at 0 that i will have to scrub the living daylights out of my skin to get clean. i guess what i am asking is how good at getting rid of dirt and grime (i work with pulverized coal) is a 0 cleansing bar?

Yeah, i just meant will it be so little cleansing at 0 that i will have to scrub the living daylights out of my skin to get clean. i guess what i am asking is how good at getting rid of dirt and grime (i work with pulverized coal) is a 0 cleansing bar?

I have a grubby job too :) I find that if the dirt isn't something horrid and greasy (like stack soot or cable grease) my castiles/ bastilles / lard soaps at 5% superfat and 15% coconut oil clean just fine (even the ones with 0 cleansing). I like my salt soaps (80% coconut oil/ 80% salt / 20% superfat) all the time, but they really help if I'm grubby, and my 100% coconut oil dish soap works on greasy hands too. Of course some days its a strip off in the back yard and apply GoJo with pumice before Im even allowed in the house...

and FYI - WD 40 will get cable grease out of your hair, but stay away from open flames....

Cut soap. A bit rough but it's soap...I hope lol

1455015906706.jpg

Back