Peacock Swirl Entry Thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am first :)
Double lye soap, with coconut milk. For the one color teal mica and TD, Swirl: Coral mica, Blue mica, gold mica, and TD water. It was my first time using slab mold,
Very low temps, 34 C, Scented with white tea and ginger

in mold.jpg

Boki na chalenge 1.jpg

przody chyba najlepsze.jpg

Last edited:
Made 70% CO, 20% OO and 10% Shea with SF 20%. Tried a new fragrance for white base which seized and the swirl was unfragranced. The perfect 'S' didn't come out with the tool I made as it was the first time I used it and didn't get to make another one. But I am happy with the finished cut bars. I didn't think I would like this technique, but I did, except for the hand ache.

IMG_2273.jpg

IMG_2272.jpg

211E3965-F462-4D1B-96E5-B8C7AC8A3C48.jpg

DBAFAC70-2DB7-402B-8BDF-02E4C52AA05A.jpg

I just did a little batch, using my loaf mold as a slab. My colors are lavender, minty green, pale blue, and white. The pallet was inspired by the soaps at the Snoblove YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzCaTjgYPD_MbpRH8oqclxQ.

This is just a simple recipe, scented with lemongrass. The comb was so easy to make, just sliding the skewers up into the cardboard. I did not do a base first; I wanted a design throughout the bars. Also, I don't have much luck with new soap sticking to a previously poured layer.

1497970177706.jpg

1497970200958.jpg

1497970224805.jpg

1497970247098.jpg

I didn't have the patience to pour off and mix colors, so I added mica to my "fake super fat" oil and drizzled it on top, then conveniently chose a discoloring fragrance (cinnamon sugar I think, but it could have been cinnamon stick). If I had time to make a second I'd make my drizzle lines cleaner before the swirl and add less mica to the oils. I enjoyed this one more than I thought and I think I'll experiment with drizzling colors again.

Pics from top to bottom:
1. After cut
2. Group shot after a week or so cure
3. One of the cleanest/prettiest ones

Edit:
4th pic of before cutting

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

My Photo skills blow first off. They look orangy for some reason that I can not figure out how to use my camera. In natural light they are better. I used Goldenfinger(MM) on the bottom which was just a thin layer and just the mica in oil on the top for interest. Other colors were.. sexy stranger on a train brown (MM), Rose Gold (BB). Bordeaux & Enchanted forest (RE). Scented in Spanish Fly (MO) Top to bottom 1.)The soap when I was done, 2.) Close up, 3.) When I put the dividers in and took the pic on the window sill. 4. ) The Cut in crappy lightening 5.) The cut in natural lightening

Done with soap and tools.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

After I put in the dividers in natural light.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

This is a recipe with lard, olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, and castor oil, scented with Lemongrass, Litsea Cubeba, and Dark Patchouli essential oils. For the base I played with a spin swirl before doing the top in the peacock swirl. The colors were made with titanium dioxide, yellow iron oxide, and activated charcoal. They are finished with a light dusting of soda ash.

This was a new technique to me and I had a lot of fun doing it - thanks, Saponista!!

P1160447.jpg

P1160467.jpg

P1160463.jpg

The Peacock Swirl was one of the reasons I decided to try making CP soap. But until now, I had never tried it. It looks so intimidating and complicated. Turns out, it is really fun! Thanks Saponista! This is fragranced with BB Kumquat with colors of Snow White (MM) and Turquoise, Sky Blue, a mix of Vibrance Orange and Neon Orange and Black Pearl (NS).

Peacock2.jpg

Peacock Swirl.jpg

Last edited:
Wish I'd had more time but I like what I got with all the white to balance the green, brown and black. I was pretty laid back with this one, pouring loose stripes throughout the mold and using just one skewer rather than making a comb. I think the old videos suggesting you need squirt bottles scared me from trying a peacock - that was dumb lol ImageUploadedBySoap Making1498105899.074336.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1498105927.503844.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1498106058.235923.jpg

Finally home and able to post my entry. Thought I would have time to make at least one more batch, but am entering my one and only try. I love this technique, though, and will definitely use it again!

I used 2 lab colors (teal and Kelly green), activated charcoal for the black, and apparently not enough gold mica to come through, so it just looks white in the pictures. My "comb" was half a pizza circle with bamboo skewers stuck in the corrugated cardboard. The third pic is after cutting and before planing and beveling. I kept half of the bars unplaned, and planed the rest to shape them up as I have discovered that I really have zero talent for freehand cutting bars of soap out of a slab mold!

ETA: Scented with Moss and Breeze from Saffire Blue and they smell so fresh! No misbehavior at all!

DSC_0066_zpsxo9u4uke.jpg

DSC_0072_zpserbiyanj.jpg

DSC_0087_zps3eo3ilzz.jpg

DSC_0080_zpshfiodede.jpg

For my first Peacock swirl I figured I'd go with peacock colours!

I did the soap in 2 parts: the white layer first with some fun additives like clay and goat milk. Then I popped it into the oven to harden a bit while I mixed up the second part with a simpler recipe, divided into 5 colours then poured and swirled. I tried adding drops of gold mica oil but I don't love the look of it - next time I will skip it. Scented with a Grapefruit FO. :)

IMG_20170624_163246_mh1498406167086.jpg

IMG_20170625_115241_mh1498406110671.jpg

Oh dear....no peacocks here. Everything was going well until I added the fragrance and boom....accelerated trace. Managed to pour the colours but it was gloopy by the last and it overpowered the other colours.

20170625_230218.jpg

After my 3 rejects, I postponed making another attempt at a decent entry. Since time ran out, I will submit it even though I would have preferred to do another. Still, although not as gorgeous as many of the others, I do like how it turned out. I knew it was too thick by the time I got the top portion poured, and thought of adding a more fluid layer, but figured it would not be ready to cut in time if I did that. So I decided to keep it as it was. I am happy with the color scheme and do like the look of the finished soap. I will need to practice more on this technique. Thank you for the challenge, Saponista.

I couldn't remember if we were supposed to include the swirl tools in the photo or not, so to be on the safe side, I used them along with the uncut slab photo.

Peacock%20Swirl%20with%20tools%20-%202017June24.jpg

Using 4 colors and the base uncolored batter, a small teak organizer tray lined with freezer paper, I made a small slab which resulted in these three bars. I cut the bars in an unusual shape because my husband likes the chunky sized bars, but one bar is in a more traditional shape to show off the peacock designs. One bar is turned to show the bottom. I meant to show a side view, but this was the best shot of the cut bars and I just now noticed the sides don't really show in this shot.

Peacock%20Swirl%20cut%20bars%20-%202017June24.jpg

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1498463323.651560.jpg
This is a feather-damaged peacock...
( insert squeaks ) :p
Color scheme is white, black, gold, magenta, and purple.

I should not fiddle with black, especially with a quite fast-moving recipe. Duh!!! It really muddled up the soap batter. Thanks saponista! I'll definitely try again.

I might just pour another slow-moving layer and give it another shot.

Last edited:
Well done everyone and thank you for participating. The votes are all in now so I will announce the winners.

In first place we have Soapprentice

In joint second we have HowieRoll and newbie

And in third place we have dibbles

Thanks ever so much for taking part everyone. I really appreciate it and every entry was beautiful.

I have seen the video for next month and it's something I have always wanted to try but never got around to so I am excited and will definitely be signing up.

After my 3 rejects, I postponed making another attempt at a decent entry. Since time ran out, I will submit it even though I would have preferred to do another. Still, although not as gorgeous as many of the others, I do like how it turned out. I knew it was too thick by the time I got the top portion poured, and thought of adding a more fluid layer, but figured it would not be ready to cut in time if I did that. So I decided to keep it as it was. I am happy with the color scheme and do like the look of the finished soap. I will need to practice more on this technique. Thank you for the challenge, Saponista.

I couldn't remember if we were supposed to include the swirl tools in the photo or not, so to be on the safe side, I used them along with the uncut slab photo.

Peacock%20Swirl%20with%20tools%20-%202017June24.jpg

Using 4 colors and the base uncolored batter, a small teak organizer tray lined with freezer paper, I made a small slab which resulted in these three bars. I cut the bars in an unusual shape because my husband likes the chunky sized bars, but one bar is in a more traditional shape to show off the peacock designs. One bar is turned to show the bottom. I meant to show a side view, but this was the best shot of the cut bars and I just now noticed the sides don't really show in this shot.

Peacock%20Swirl%20cut%20bars%20-%202017June24.jpg

Correction to my OP. Due to Photobucket's new policy the links to my photos no longer work. Here they are as attachments from my computer:

Peacock Swirl cut bars - 2017June24.jpg

Peacock Swirl with tools - 2017June24.jpg

Back