Batch size increase mixing problems/experiences...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapo

Reaction score
Hello,

what size batches do you people usually make, and what size batch was your maximum? Did you experience any mixing problems with size increases?

I just made a 7lbs batch and the error is instantly obvious; the top of the paste tests neutral in both tongue test and total alkali test, and dilutes foggy, while the bottom stings like a mofo, tests positive for excess alkali and dilutes clearish.

To me, the fact that my SB didn't quite do it's job before everything siezed up is quite apparent. Anyone notice anything similar + how did you overcome this "scaling up" problem?

Edit: picture for comparisson below. On the left is SAME recipe, from 3lbs batch (which turned out perfect), in the middle is a sample from the 7lbs batch from the BOTTOM (zappy), and on the right we have the topside fatty sample.

20170607_1803461-1502.jpg

Yes, the intensity of mixing does make a difference. If you use the same SB for a large batch as for a small batch, the amount of energy per weight of soap batter will go down as your batch size goes up. That can definitely affect the time to trace and the uniformity of the soap batter emulsion. When making CP soap, a lack of uniformity in the soap batter can result in the top of the finished soap being fat heavy and the bottom being lye heavy.

If you're making KOH soap paste (whether cooked for hours or made with a no-cook method) or if you are using a hot process method for NaOH soap, I'm not quite sure the same idea applies in quite the same way. The mixing and processing for these methods usually goes on longer than when you use a cold process method to make NaOH soap. Did you did get your soap paste to a definite emulsion or trace stage? Do you do any hand stirring? I hand stir the paste after it reaches trace because it gets so thick and I also know a stick blender doesn't completely mix the soap batter even if the batter is fluid enough to use a SB'er. Hand stirring ensures the paste is evenly mixed and saponifies uniformly.

But you might be doing things quite differently than I do. So maybe you should share more about how you made this batch, so we can troubleshoot things better?

-the process is HP
-blending time was up until the paste siezed up completely (not sure how long, 10-15min?).
-KOH paste.
The paste was then cooked for something like 4 hours, with attempts to mix, but ultimately failing due to the thickness (same procedure as with the smaller batch).
-Recipe is 70% coconut/25%olive/3% oleic safflower/2% hemp, paste is stiff as heck, water content of recipe pre-dilution is just over 3:1 (water:koh)

In the future, more water would possibly play an important role, to ensure the ability of being able to mix the paste, indeed. I tried using a potato masher and I broke it on the smaller batch that turned out perfectly. Leads me to conclude that the SB could handle that batch and no hand stirring was necessary, not the case with the big batch.

edit: just realized im making a big assumption that more water equals softer paste. It could just separate, leaving me with puddles of water and an equally hard paste. Thoughts/experiences?

Back