Cedarwood EO and trace

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tklechak

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with Cedarwood EO?? I'm wondering if anyone has had it accelerate trace?? I made a 40 oz batch today, and after about 2 minutes, it seized up on me. What the heck am I doing wrong??

50 % lard
30 % OO
20 % CO
2.25:1 water/lye
fragrance Cedarwood mixed with patchouli EO @ 1 oz PPO

added lye water at 113 degrees
whisked for about 45 sec. to 1 minute
stick blender bzzt bzzt bzzt ....SEIZE:headbanging::headbanging::headbanging:
I'm really starting to get disillusioned ....... Thanks for your comments!!

On the bright side, this mess smells great !!

Last edited:
I have used Cedarwood EO with Sweet Orange EO and had no problem with my soap seizing.

Thanks!!! I mixed mine with patchouli ... I think that is where my problem comes in ..... Not so much the patchouli itself, but the supplier ....

Hiya tklechak!

It's been a while, but Cedarwood VA is one of my favorite essential oils -- alone or in a blend. I don't remember it ever seizing.

TIP: If your batch seizes to the point you have soap-on-a-stick, just leave it; walk away for 5 minutes or so; when you come back it will look like it's going thru gel... easy to stir up and pour at that time.

The other remedy I use, is for soap with discounted water -- when the batch starts to seize, add 2-4 oz. of cold water, straight from the fridge. Stir it up and pour.

Hiya tklechak!

It's been a while, but Cedarwood VA is one of my favorite essential oils -- alone or in a blend. I don't remember it ever seizing.

TIP: If your batch seizes to the point you have soap-on-a-stick, just leave it; walk away for 5 minutes or so; when you come back it will look like it's going thru gel... easy to stir up and pour at that time.

The other remedy I use, is for soap with discounted water -- when the batch starts to seize, add 2-4 oz. of cold water, straight from the fridge. Stir it up and pour.

Thank you ZANY! ... Although it's too late for that. I now have a "bowl of soap" .... I honestly think it's the patchouli EO I used ... Timm .....

If you don't mind my asking, which supplier? And was it an EO or FO?

Zany ... it was an EO (or so it said on the bottle). I bought it off of Ebay (I think). The seller was Zelda's Aromatics (www.zeldasaromatics.com) .......... I've had a couple batches seize up The other batch(es) *may* have had the patchouli in them. Honestly, I don't really remember, but it's a real good possibility. ........ Timm .......

Sadly, a lot of companies sell adulterated essential oils... including Young Living and Do Terra, or so I've read. You might want to do a Google search to learn more...

I can only speak to the Patchouli I use and have never had it trace fast or seize. I make a lot of Patchouli soap. I use Dark Indonesian Patchouli. I highly recommend purchasing it from a reputable soapmaking company. I don't purchase any EO or FO from EBay. I want the real deal that I can trust.

Back