Dual lye castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do too, Carolyn. Still very pleased with how a dab of KOH helps the lather of my soaps that are high in lard.

I haven't made soap with ammonia, but I probably should one of these days just to say I've done it.

edit -- @Mobjack Bay -- Sometimes the order in which ingredients are added to a chemical reaction can make a difference in the outcome. I wonder if starting the saponification reaction with just the ammonia solution would reduce the odor issue you encountered. Not saying I know this to work ... just musing out loud. Also the Delany sisters' recipe only uses a small amount of household ammonia. Did you do the same or did you use ammonia as a full water replacement?

Last edited:
I do too, Carolyn. Still very pleased with how a dab of KOH helps the lather of my soaps that are high in lard.

I haven't made soap with ammonia, but I probably should one of these days just to say I've done it.

edit -- @Mobjack Bay -- Sometimes the order in which ingredients are added to a chemical reaction can make a difference in the outcome. I wonder if starting the saponification reaction with just the ammonia solution would reduce the odor issue you encountered. Not saying I know this to work ... just musing out loud. Also the Delany sisters' recipe only uses a small amount of household ammonia. Did you do the same or did you use ammonia as a full water replacement?
I believe I used the household ammonia as a full water replacement. I used the ammonia to pull the dye out of madder powder. Beyond that I would need to go back to my notes. It made a very dark pink soap, so I could certainly get away with less/use it as a split if I do it again.

Hello evryone !
I just made my first dual lye castille soap. I used 5% KOH and 95% NaOH with a 1% superfat (to be sure). The stringy feeling did not disapears however I was able to have castille lather for the first time , it was thin but an interesting addition.

Hello evryone !
I just made my first dual lye castille soap. I used 5% KOH and 95% NaOH with a 1% superfat (to be sure). The stringy feeling did not disapears however I was able to have castille lather for the first time , it was thin but an interesting addition.
Castille will always have the snotty texture in my opinion. Even with Zany's recipe I didn't care for castile. I don't like OO oil at a high amount at all. I find it drying to my skin.

Your's is still too new to get a feel for it once cured. Now it's time to set it aside for a good 12 months.

Back