Gluten Free Soap????

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainwater

Reaction score
I recently had a question that I couldn't answer? Is your soap Gluten Free? I don't know - Is Cold Process Soap Gluten Free?

If your soap does not contain wheat, barley, rye, or another grain which contains gluten, then it is gluten free. You should also have made it away from and gluten product that could have contaminated it - including oatmeal. Although oatmeal does not naturally contain gluten, most commercial brands are contaminated.

Also I would be suspect of any oil which was from a grain such as rice bran oil, again because of contamination.

If you want to make a true gluten free soap- I would spend a bit of time researching gluten intolerance.

I would reply something like, "None of my ingredients contain gluten, but I cannot guarantee there's been no cross contamination."

I know that people are extremely sensitive to CONSUMING gluten, but is it actually a problem if it touches their skin, the way peanut particles can be in extreme cases?

I had someone ask if my soaps were gluten free and I couldn't resist- I replied "Are you planning to eat the soap, because I'll warn you, it tastes really bad "
I then added which soaps contain oats.

There was another post about a similar thing - some people ARE allergic to having gluten on their skin. Some people who are allergic to eating it are also allergic to having it on their skin. I picked up from that thread is to ask if they are allergic to it on the skin or just consumed gluten - if the former, beware. If the latter, make sure you don't sell them a choc scented cupcake soap

Back