Soap making with castor oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sorry, but maybe I am dense. I am not sure what you are trying to do. Can you explain further?

I don't understand the word "synthes"

Are you trying to make a soap that's 100% castor oil?

In chemistry, chemical synthesis is purposeful execution of chemical reactions in order to get a product, or several products. This happens by physical and chemical manipulations usually involving one or more reactions. In modern laboratory usage, this tends to imply that the process is reproducible, reliable, and established to work in multiple laboratories.

So what are you really asking? :?

What do you want to use the cleaning solution for - laundry, household? Castor would make a very mild soap. Some other oils like coconut or palm kernel would make a better cleaning solution.

It sounds like 2:5 ratio Castor/NaOH would be lye heavy. Have you checked for the correct lye amount using a calculator like SoapCalc? http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp

And I am using sulphonated castor oil, does it make any difference?

Yes, there is a difference. I thought you were talking about regular castor oil. Sulphonated or sulfated castor oil (Turkey Red) is manufactured by treating castor oil with sulfuric acid. It's water soluble and will emulsify other oils. It's also unsaponifiable so you're not going to be able to make a cleaning solution by combining it with sodium hydroxide. Liquid soap is made with potassium hydroxide but it won't saponify with KOH, either. Many liquid soap makers use sulfated castor oil to superfat because of this reason and it doesn't cause cloudiness in the batch. From what I understand, there is a way of processing it to make a detergent or to make a dyeing assistant but I don't know how this is done.

Someone on this forum may know how this is done but you might have to be patient for a reply. I'd suggest asking a chemist or searching on a chemistry site.

I'm sorry I can't help you. I hope you'll be able to find an answer.

Back