Trimmings ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorado

Reaction score
Quick question from newbie. Have googlet, could not find answer anywhere.
Is it safe, after dissolving the trimmings frop CP soap in water, using it as liquid hand soap :?:
Should they be boiled first, or should they be preserved. (trimmings from fresh soap - just unmolded)
Have dissolved the trimmings in demineralized water. They dissolve very well and turns into an awful lot of liquid soap. :shock:

Liquid soap is made with a lye excess to make sure all the oils are saponified. Also, I've read that soap is normally too alkaline for bacterial growth. However because of the unsaponified oils in the trimmings, I think it would be better to be safe and use a preservative to prevent any nasties that could grow in an oil/water environment. But this is just my opinion.

Thank you Hazel. :angel: :angel:
I thought so, I've seen the recipe on SMF, How To Make Easy liquid soap,
but here they use soap, which is preserved.
I'm not worried about lye, did the zap test before adding the water, no problems there.
I think I'll try to boil the soap mass, adding glycerin, and then see what happens.
And then I find out which preservatives I need, if we like the new liquid hand soap.
I have a whole liter, made of less than 2 oz of trimmings - incredibly economical.
The sop is in a clear bottle, so I can keep an eye on it. I'll leave it for a couble of weeks og or 4
If there are bacteria in the soap, I'll probably get an overpressure in the bottle.
Hopefully I can use it.

I wasn't concerned about too much lye. I was concerned because I know you use a SF and would have unsaponified oil in your soap. Please let us know how it turns out for you. :D

Tadaaaaa. :clap:
I have used the trimmings from the lard soap with SF 8%. (see post 1)
App 9% soaptrimmings, 90% demineralized water, 1% glycerine liquid
I put the trimmings to soak in dem.water yesterday.
This morning I had a thick, slimy, cloudy gel. :|
I heated the gel on low heat app 10 min and got a very thin, transperant liquid
After cooling, the consistency was perfect. I added 2 teaspoons (10ml) glycerin.
Today, 5 persons tried the liquid hand soap, all thought it was nice, cleans well, soft hands, nice scent, no doubt, my trimmings ends in the future as liquid hand soap. My son orderd 1 liter, my grandchild 3 years old wanted to wash her hands about 10 times, what more could I wish for. :thumbup:
My opinion is that the scent is very strong compared to the solid soap, and not enough bubbles.
I will leave the lard-soap to mature for 6 weeks and try again, hopefully this will give me more bubbles. :think:

Experiment: (because we love lanolin in my family)
I took 1 tablespoon of the hot liquid, and added 1 small drop of lanolin.
The fluid was immediately cloudy, and after cooling, soap and lanolin was separated. :thumbdown:
I'll try adding 1% lanolin before heating next time or better, I'll make a batch with Lanolin soap, and use its trimmings for liquid hand soap.

Thanks Hazel.

Update on the liquid trim-soap
I've added 2 tsp fine salt to my 1 liter of liquid trim-soap.
Salt removed the snotty texture, :thumbup: and the soap has become lighter in color, foam and cream is more than doubled :clap:
Unbelievable what a little salt can do.
Now I do not think it can get any better.
Really nice soap, totally natural and very economical.

My recipe now looks like this:
9% soaptrimmings or grated soap, 90% deionized water (melted together) (maybe less water,for other types of soap)
1% Glycerine and 1% fine salt in the cold soap, stir or shake well in a bottle.

Dorado said:
Thanks Hazel.

Update on the liquid trim-soap
I've added 2 tsp fine salt to my 1 liter of liquid trim-soap.
Salt removed the snotty texture, :thumbup: and the soap has become lighter in color, foam and cream is more than doubled :clap:
Unbelievable what a little salt can do.
Now I do not think it can get any better.
Really nice soap, totally natural and very economical.

My recipe now looks like this:
9% soaptrimmings or grated soap, 90% deionized water (melted together) (maybe less water,for other types of soap)
1% Glycerine and 1% fine salt in the cold soap, stir or shake well in a bottle.

Did you use iodized salt or table salt?

I seen a video on youtube that you can just use the trimmings and water without adding anything else. I did this myself with some old soap that did not turn out well. I did not add anything other than a little f/o. The soap trimmings I used contained shea butter and at first it was a globby mess, but taking more and more out of the bottle and adding more and more water, I have liquid soap. I have not had any issues with the liquid soap discoloring, or creating any sort of fungus, or mold. The color is still a tannish color which was the original color of the soap trimmings I used.

I love your idea of adding glycerin to the batch too.

I used table salt. EDIT: My tablesalt is with 1,3 g iodine per 100 g
It was just an experiment, have read everywhere that it could not be done without having the snotty mass, but I am very stubborn
The recipe I found, is also without any additives.
I read somewhere that glicerine acts as a kind of preservation to the soap and condition to the the skin, so I added this.
Read something about salt in another recipe for liquid hand soap, can't remember what it was, I just thought: you may try adding salt.
Sorry my memory is not what it used to - it's probably getting worn out. :mrgreen:
My surprise was big, when the slimy / snotty, yellow mass changed into a fluffy white mass :shock: - love it (almost like cake frosting)
and even bigger was my surprise, when I suddenly washed my hands with a lot of creamy bubbles. :clap:
You should try it Hazel, you don't have to make a whole liter. You could easily cut the recipe down to 1/10 and perhaps use an old soap bit.
Have calculated that the one liter I made costs $ 0.46
If you use the micro to melt the soap, you will have a lovely fluffy liquid soap tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back