Water in my salt bar. Help needed!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheirenya

Reaction score
I made a batch and I put it in few different moulds, 2 without salt and 1 with dead sea salt, today I took them off of mould and salt bar had water all around? Others was just fine.

i've always read that you're not supposed to use dead sea salt in salt bars because of the additional minerals... maybe that could be to blame? i've never used dead sea salt and never had a problem like that with salt bars.

Oh, I didn't know that. :/ I bought that salt from soap supplier, so I thought it's suitable, but maybe not then?

I've used dead sea salt too and it was a disaster. The soap was oily and never set up properly. There was no rebatching :roll: I tried a couple of things but it ended up in the trash.

I've never used it myself in soap, but, I've read where Dead Sea Salt has posed many problems for a lot of people making salt bars, although I must say that I did hear of one soaper once who made a Dead Sea bar that turned okay. Since so many have reported disaster when using DSS, though, it makes me suspicious if her salt was really and truly Dead Sea Salt.

From what I understand, Dead Sea Salt is reported to have a high % of magnesium in it, just like epsom salts (which is also bad for making salt bars). Soap made with either turns into a weepy, watery mess. You're best to stick with regular table salt or plain sea salt. I use plain sea salt myself with no issues. I save my Dead Sea Salt for anhydrous foot scrubs.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back