~*~ SMF June 2017 Challenge - Peacock Swirls! ~*~
~ June 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > How do you store soap trimmings

Old 06-19-2017, 02:27 PM   #1
Dlbroox

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts

Default How do you store soap trimmings

I like to rebatch so I save all my trimmings. They are relatively soft because they're from new, uncured soap. What should I save them in? Cardboard box? I'm thinking plastic and glass would prevent them from breathing.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:35 PM   #2
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4510 Times on 2651 Posts
Likes Given: 928

I bevel all my soaps over a 5 gal bucket and store them in it.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:41 PM   #3
dixiedragon

Liked 3420 Times on 1974 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

I keep them in a clean lard bucket. I want it to be airtight (relatively) so the scraps will stay soft and "fresh" and will meld better with confetti soap.
penelopejane Likes This 
Old 06-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #4
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 10228 Times on 4665 Posts
Likes Given: 4578

I sometimes save interestingly colored trimmings for confetti soap. When I do, I put them in a zipper-lock bag. If they seem overly dry to make confetti soap, I spritz them with water and let the dampened trimmings set for a bit before adding them to the fresh soap batter.

I used to save them all, but Irish Lass shared a tip that I like even better. Right after trimming up a new batch of soap, I smoosh the fresh trimmings into a little pancake, let this pancake cure just like a regular bar of soap, and use it at the sink for hand washing. You can lightly spray or sprinkle the trimmings with a little water -- or better yet a little ethyl or isopropyl alcohol -- to make them easier to smoosh together. Irish Lass presses her trimmings into cute molds, but I just make a rustic pancake in my hands.

This also gives me the fun of using the soap without the regret of using a "real" bar that I could otherwise give away or sell.
cobbsie Likes This 
Old 06-19-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
Dlbroox

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeAnna View Post
I sometimes save interestingly colored trimmings for confetti soap. When I do, I put them in a zipper-lock bag. If they seem overly dry to make confetti soap, I spritz them with water and let the dampened trimmings set for a bit before adding them to the fresh soap batter.

I used to save them all, but Irish Lass shared a tip that I like even better. Right after trimming up a new batch of soap, I smoosh the fresh trimmings into a little pancake, let this pancake cure just like a regular bar of soap, and use it at the sink for hand washing. You can lightly spray or sprinkle the trimmings with a little water -- or better yet a little ethyl or isopropyl alcohol -- to make them easier to smoosh together. Irish Lass presses her trimmings into cute molds, but I just make a rustic pancake in my hands.

This also gives me the fun of using the soap without the regret of using a "real" bar that I could otherwise give away or sell.
Oh wow, what a great idea. I'm a sculptor and noticed that the soap is really malleable and would be great for a sculpture. I have food grade silicone putty I've been dying to use for molds. I'm going to sculpt something in clay and make a silicone mold! Now I just have to decide what it should be...
People Like This 
Old 06-19-2017, 04:29 PM   #6
penelopejane

Liked 1352 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlbroox View Post
Oh wow, what a great idea. I'm a sculptor and noticed that the soap is really malleable and would be great for a sculpture. I have food grade silicone putty I've been dying to use for molds. I'm going to sculpt something in clay and make a silicone mold! Now I just have to decide what it should be...
If it's still really soft you can use it for decoration like icing for cake making.
See http://sorcerysoap.com/product/magic-soap-box/
For ideas to get you started.