Vanilla in EO Bay Rum blend? (for aftershave)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BayBoy

Reaction score
Hi all.

So I'm working on creating my own essential oil blend for a bay rum style aftershave.

I've found that the closest I've come to the scent I want is a combination of cinnamon, black pepper, sandalwood and vanilla.

I find that the vanilla is essential (no pun intended) because without it, the scent is somewhat acrid (like turpentine). However, the vanilla seems to unite and smooth everything over with it's slightly sweet aroma.

That said, I'm not sure what the best way is to introduce vanilla into the mix. I tried a vanilla absolute (tiny tiny 2ml bottle cost $25), but it turned my mixture brown.

I tried another product with vanilla suspended in Jojoba, but I don't want Jojoba in with the mix.

Any suggestions on how I can introduce vanilla into an EO mixture? I'm looking for a final product that is clear to a bit cloudy when shaken, with a bit of a sting on the face.

Cheers!

I completely agree that adding a bit of a sweet note to bay rum gives it a wonderful smoothness. The unfortunate problem with using vanilla as your sweet note, though, is that it turns things brown. My best suggestion is to either go with a non-discoloring vanilla FO (links below), or you can do what I do- I mix my bay rum blend with an FO called Barbershop 1920's from Rustic Escentuals. It doesn't contain any vanillin to turn my bay rum aftershave brown, and it provides a really nice, sweet element to it that rounds things out.

Non-discoloring vanillas:

https://www.brambleberry.com/vanilla-non-discoloring-fragrance-oil-p3908.aspx

https://oregontrailsoaps.com/Vanilla-Non-Discoloring-Fragrance-Oil.html

https://www.thesage.com/catalog/products/Vanilla-Cream-Fragrance-Oil.html

Hopefully more folks will chime in soon to lend their advice.

IrishLass :)

Hey there and thanks! Are the products you're referring to essential oils or synthetic?

If you want essential oils only, look into Peru Balsam (sometimes listed as Balsam Peru) or Benzoin resin. Camden Grey carries both. Peru Balsam is considered a skin sensitizer, as is cinnamon, so read about usage rates. Benzoin is dark in color and very thick so can be a bit difficult to work with. Both have a vanilla note to them. I don't know if either will work for you, but maybe worth looking at.

If you want essential oils only, look into Peru Balsam (sometimes listed as Balsam Peru) or Benzoin resin. Camden Grey carries both. Peru Balsam is considered a skin sensitizer, as is cinnamon, so read about usage rates. Benzoin is dark in color and very thick so can be a bit difficult to work with. Both have a vanilla note to them. I don't know if either will work for you, but maybe worth looking at.

I was also going to mention Benzoin which has a vanilla like sweetness but yes it is dark.

Back