Vanilla Stabilizer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pecorasfigs

Reaction score
Hi everybody, new to forum. Been a soaper maker for 3 years, haven't soap much in last year. Mom has the big A. Was afraid she might get into something. But I join this forum. Been reading about u guys lovely creations and problems. IT got me excited about soap making again. Made 2 (2)lb loaves with goats milk and 1 volcano and the other leaked at top. Made one today. Came out perfect . My question: I avoid all FO with Vanillin. Don't really like dark soaps. But I love some of the FO that has vanillin.Has anybody had experience with vanilla stabilizer. Does it work. Who has the best product any information
will be appreciated

Vanilla stabilizer works so so. If you are using a FO that goes very, very dark it doesn't work as well. I recently used a FO that discolors to a butterscotch color and the stabilizer kept the soap white for about two month. After that, it started turning golden around the edges. IMO, its a waste of money, its better if you can learn to embrace dark soap.

I've done the same as you - avoided vanilla. Brown is one my my least favorite colors. Yesterday I was looking at soaper's blog and saw a very dark brown soap...with cp soap embeds (embeds not scented with vanilla), and the soap was quite striking! (If I could get this computer to list my history, I'd provide a link, but no such luck) Maybe something you could experiment with.

I've been using the Vanilla Stabilizer from BitterCreekNorth (BCN), and so far so good. Granted, I've only used it in one batch so far that I made 10 months ago (to test it out and observe over the long haul before using it in other batches), but it's holding up great! I used it in a batch of Santa's Pipe from SweetCakes which normally turns medium brown/tan on me. I took the below picture just after it was made on October 12, 2013, and the 3 bars of that batch that I still have left look exactly the exact same as they do in the picture (I checked just a few minutes ago).

IMG_1454SantasPipeStabilizer800.JPG

Other soapers that I respect give the BCN stabilizer high marks (which is why I decided to order it over other stabilizers). At their recommendation, I added the stabilizer to my base oils instead of the FO (they said it works better that way), and as you can see- so far, so good!

IrishLass :)

Back