Hi! Newbie from Arkansas

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackznanakin

Reaction score
Just started MP this week, so much fun and so addicting. Gave it all away and now on to make more. I want to work up to the CP but I have to convince my bf to let me have lye in the house!! Looking so forward to meeting you and learning!

Welcome Jackznankin! :wave:

Having lye in the house is no different than having oven cleaner in the house, or drain cleaner such as Rooto or Roebic drain cleaner. They each are either 100% lye or mostly lye based. If he needs more convincing, just send him here. ;)

For what it's worth, besides soap, I also use lye to make my laugenbrezel (traditional German soft pretzels). Laugen translated into English is 'lye'. My formed pretzel dough gets a bath in a weak lye solution shortly before being baked. The lye is what gives them that authentic and distinctive 'pretzel' taste. Without the lye bath, they basically just taste like regular bread (albeit delicious regular bread since its homemade afterall). :)

IrishLass :)

Last edited:
Welcome welcome! Check out the Soapmaking 101 videos on Youtube to get an idea of the lye-soap process. It's really not that scary if you treat lye carefully. :)

Back