Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craftygirl01

Reaction score
I found this recipe through an app on my phone and I was wondering what some of the things in it was and where I could find it. Screenshot_20171230-162749.png

What is Grated Soap? Also where can I get the chocolate fragence?

Seems like it would be regular soap from the store shredded? I would not even go there. But you can buy melt and pour, and use the other ingredients, except for water or course.

I would use M&P instead and a skin safe FO. You can use brown oxide or brown mica for M&P to color the soap.

The recipe is in this book: https://books.google.com/books?id=pGzUDgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
It looks like the book's author may have lifted the recipe from another source, given the poor formatting and spelling errors.

From the context in that book, I agree with the others that the "grated soap" is just a bar of bathing soap bought from any store. One would grate it into pieces.

Or you could use a melt-and-pour soap base. This can be purchased from a hobby store. Better quality bases can purchased from online suppliers of soap ingredients. In the US (you don't say what country you live in), two names that come quickly to my mind are Nature's Garden or Brambleberry. There are many others. With a M&P base, you would not need the extra water -- just follow directions for using the M&P base.

"Instand" cocoa powder is "instant" cocoa powder. I'd look for it in the bakery section in the grocery store. Instant means it's just been finely ground.

Chocolate fragrance oil might be found in a grocery store too as a food flavoring for cake decorating.

A source of non-edible chocolate fragrance oil would be one of the many online suppliers for soaping ingredients. Again, you could check Nature's Garden or Brambleberry. Like lsg said -- you want to make sure the fragrance is safe for skin, because not all fragrances are.

The 5 ounces of water for 12 ounces of soap is a LOT of water to add to this amount of soap. But it won't hurt anything or anyone to try this recipe. Just understand the soap mixture will take some weeks to dry to a harder bar.

This is a way of re-batching soap using any soap you choose. It can be new or old store bought soap, hotel soap, left-over bits of soap that are too small to use anymore, or your own homemade soap. You shred it up in a food grinder or use a cheese grater to grate it. You can also buy grated soap in packages in some stores (I rarely see it though), or online if you don't want to shred your own. Sometimes it's called 'soap noodles'.

I have used cocoa powder (for making cocoa to drink) as a brown colorant in soap in the past and it works well.

For a fragrance oil, since this is a recipe for a re-batch of already saponified soap, you can use any skin safe fragrance oil. They can easily be found online. A couple of craft stores I have been to do carry some fragrance oils to be used with melt & Pour so if you could find a chocolate FO in one of them, that would work. But I have not seen any chocolate FO's in those stores, which doesn't mean they don't have them, but their supply is so limited, I'd say you would have better luck online.

Speaking from experience, I have made re-batch soap with grated store bought soap. It was a fun project for my grandchildren one summer. We bought & grated some Dove Bars (if I remember correctly that was the only soap sold in the little store near the cabin we were staying in at the lake). They chose their own additives from the pantry and individualized their soap to their own liking. We used yogurt containers as soap molds, greasing the insides lightly to make un-molding easier.

Back