Starting Off

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianO

Reaction score
Hi

Getting the equipment together to start off.

Would like to get a proper mould and soap cutter from the start. Dont want the finished bars to be too small , standard soap bar size ? .

Any recommendations on a supplier of a good mould and straight and wavy cutter.

Is this a good start off package ? http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Adjustable-W...hash=item48838f7076:m:m6rAEVta2OYopvwApVd4K7Q

Thanks very Much !

Brian.

I have the pink 6 cavity molds. They work well.

Thanks, Ordered. This is why these forums are INVALUABLE... !

Populated by friendly helpful people willing to share their experience. Thanks.

Excited as I get my basic kit together to start on a Soap journey. Am stunned by the quality and skill out there in making Gorgeous Artisan Natural Soap products.

Hi

On the loaf type moulds , what would be the standard measurements to yield a " normal " block of soap that could be cut into the standard bar sizes ?

Thanks

Hi

On the loaf type moulds , what would be the standard measurements to yield a " normal " block of soap that could be cut into the standard bar sizes ?

Thanks
For a new and experimenting soaper, this one from bramble berry is good. It makes pretty "standard" bar size, but you won't end up overwhelmed with trial batches. It only makes 4-5 bars (depending on how you cut them). https://www.brambleberry.com/4-Silicone-Loaf-Mold-P5531.aspx

However, most people start with one about this size. I cut mine about an inch thick. https://www.brambleberry.com/10-Silicone-Loaf-Mold--P5199.aspx

Not everyone likes to make the same size, so I don't know that there's a standard, but if you check the measurements of these two, you'll have a pretty good idea of what to look for. For people who sell soap, I think the weight of the bar is more important than the shape or size.

There is no standard. You'll find family and friends who prefer a loaf mold 1 inch thick and others who want it 1 and 1/4 thick. Others want a tall and skinny soap and don't try and tell them it's almost the same dimensions as the loaf! The top is the top. Everyone has their own personal preferences. Don't fall into the trap that women want a smaller soap - lots of men do. Welcome to the soaping world.

I have the 1501 and love it!

I also have a more square mold...if an external link is allowed here, it's a twin of this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YQO006K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

That one is a bit more square.

I love both, actually. They both produce an easy to handle bar, of a good size. As does my oval bar individual molds, and my rectangular individual molds...

You'll find people prefer a whole variety of things, but that most of what you think of as "normal" sizes and shapes work out very well indeed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any recommendations on a supplier of a good mould and straight and wavy cutter.

Is this a good start off package ? http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Adjustable-W...hash=item48838f7076:m:m6rAEVta2OYopvwApVd4K7Q

I don't have that mold, but I do have the straight & the wavy cutter and mine look just like the ones in the picture. On the plus side, that cutter has two slots -- one for each blade, the wavy being fatter than the slimmer straight blade. Cool! Mine doesn't have that option and I have to shim the slot to get the straight cutter to work properly.

As to size of the bars, the silicone mold inside the wood box dictates the size of the bar and you have all the gear needed to cut bars to size -- and a beveler to boot! Puts my potato peeler to shame.

I apologize for not being able to think metric, so, if I read the details correctly, the silicone insert is 3.15" wide -- a good size; 10+" long, means you can cut 10 bars, each (typically) 1" thick. You can pour any depth up to 4" -- 2.25" might be a bit more standard, but 4" allows for fancy high tops that still fit under the cover.

The price is an incredible bargain! I paid more than that for just the straight & wavy cutters. The seller seems to have a good rating and 54 units sold. The only draw back may be that they only take PayPal. If you have an account, you're good to go.

PS: I love a bargain, so I would take my chances and snap it up before the price rises or it's no longer offered.

I agree that a 'standard' soap size is relative. If we look at soap shapes globally (outside our own country where we may live) soap sizes and shapes vary quite a lot! So when you say a 'standard' soap size, it might be best to go out and measure a soap you personally like the size of and make that your 'standard' then go from there to determine which molds and cutters will work best for you.

I do not like 1 inch thick soap unless it's for traveling. It is too thin in my opinion. My husband and I really do prefer the thicker block-type shapes of soap and I have been moving away from smaller sized bars since I discovered I prefer larger soap bars.

Back