Name This pour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mommycarlson

Reaction score
I really want to make this soap with Snow Witch FO from Mad Oils.
Does anyone know what this pour is? How to achieve this look? Thank you!

f40ad5075936f2d2a8a5fff77aa7cbf7.jpg

Probably a ghost swirl for the colors. But I agree with the tiger stripe

I think if you use two shades of white, or half of the batter white and the other half as naturally uncolored, you will get that look. But it seems like a high/low water would do it too. But with high & low water, my swirls don't show as well after a long cure as they do when the soap is new, so I'd use actual colorants to achieve the variation.

Probably a ghost swirl for the colors. But I agree with the tiger stripe

BattleGnome, what do you mean a ghost swirl? I was thinking I'd do one or two whites, which most likely won't show much difference. I have Winter White and Velvet Pearl micas, then I'd just do a very light gray in the 3rd color.

I agree that it is a tiger stripe. Hard to tell if it's tilted or not. But I don't think it's a ghost swirl. To me it looks like uncolored batter and two other very subtle colors. It is pretty.

BattleGnome, what do you mean a ghost swirl? I was thinking I'd do one or two whites, which most likely won't show much difference. I have Winter White and Velvet Pearl micas, then I'd just do a very light gray in the 3rd color.

A ghost swirl is when you use 2 (or more) different lye concentrations then make sure the soap gels. The different lye concentrations gel at different temperatures and the gelled/ungelled parts make the different colors.

I would think a tiger swirl would be troublesome if done with a ghost swirl. But I sure had to stare at that a while to guess how they colored it - and I'm still not sure it's that's 2 or 3 shades in there.

There was a challenge using high water and low water:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=57559&highlight=high+water

Auntie Clara's high and low water:
https://auntieclaras.com/2014/08/intentional-crop-circles-water-discount-as-a-design-tool/

Auntie Clara's Ghost Swirl
https://auntieclaras.com/2015/09/the-ghost-swirl/

I would think a tiger swirl would be troublesome if done with a ghost swirl. But I sure had to stare at that a while to guess how they colored it - and I'm still not sure it's that's 2 or 3 shades in there.

I think it's three. Uncolored batter, titanium dioxide, and whatever they used to make the grey.

I'm glad to know other people have found the ghost effect seems to fade with cure. I found the same thing and have been very disappointed about that.

Totally agree with the others about it being a tiger swirl/pour but I don't think it's tilted. I think the person poured from the side, using the side of the mold to lay each layer of soap down gently so it wouldn't break through the last layer, or they poured down a straw or some tool when the batter was nice and thin, laying down each layer in the middle, which would give the smiley pattern of the lines. My guess is that they laid each layer down in the middle, which is why the edges curve up like they do.

To me it looks like either TD and a mica white (I don't find mica to give a bright white nor the opacity that TD does), or TD and natural using a recipe that gives a fairly white soap. I can't tell if the shading is from three colors or from some difference in the depth between the more opaque white and the lesser one.

I'm glad to know other people have found the ghost effect seems to fade with cure. I found the same thing and have been very disappointed about that.

<snip>

To me it looks like either TD and a mica white (I don't find mica to give a bright white nor the opacity that TD does), or TD and natural using a recipe that gives a fairly white soap. I can't tell if the shading is from three colors or from some difference in the depth between the more opaque white and the lesser one.

I'm really disappointed that the ghost effect fades. I'd bet it has to do with water loss and the crystal structure reorganization that goes on during curing.

I see three colors quite clearly. The grey is well defined, and about a quarter of the way up the bar the order of the colors changes. Just a brief stutter, like the crafter lost track for a moment of their pour order.

I too think it's a tiger strip. I see three colors too but it's so subtle. If I ever get around to soaping again I'm might have to try that. I like the effect with just a slight variation in color. I've done it with 2-3 distinctive colors before.

dixiedragon, thank you for the link, I love Auntie Clara's soaps :)

soapmaker, I don't know if tiger swirl and line swirl are the same. I have not tried this soap yet, but it's on my "list" :)

dixiedragon, thank you for the link, I love Auntie Clara's soaps :)

soapmaker, I don't know if tiger swirl and line swirl are the same. I have not tried this soap yet, but it's on my "list" :)

I think it must be the same thing by a different name. It produces the same look anyway. For a line swirl you do a thin trace, make your different colors, then alternate colors in a lengthwise line down the center of your mold, one on top of the other till the mold is full. My mold is so long that I find it difficult to stay on the line and pour an even amount of soap especially as it thickens. Still turns out pretty, soap can't be wrong, correct?

Back