Failed bath melts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've melted 5% ewax into the oils and it helped to eliminate the slipperiness.

@ realyred1

Did you get the recipe you posted above off another site? If so, it's internet etiquette to post the link or give credit.

I find with even a lot of soaps they can leave a film, the trick is to have a fresh clean bathtub, so its whiney, and if you rince the tub right away after your bath there is no problem, yes your tub will be slippery while getting out, because of the butters in the tub, then rinse right away if done right after its gone, I have been doing it for some time now, and I have sciatica and have to be careful of falls, I rinse right after the water goes down, if you leave the water and it sits for a while then you get the ring of scunge

It was based on one I found but the one I posted was with me tweaking so the final recipe was mine

I don't use wax in melts. I use ewax (emulsifying wax) to make the oils/butters water soluble. Technically, I guess they're not water soluble but they mix with the water and don't form a film on top. Some people use polysorbate 80.

It was based on one I found but the one I posted was with me tweaking so the final recipe was mine
Sorry! My bad! :oops: I wondered because in the previous post you had written you had found a similar recipe online and would post in a minute. I didn't realize you meant you would post your own recipe.

I make these alot and this recipe works well for me

2 oz cocoa butter
2 oz shea butter
2tbl beeswax
1tbl carrier oil
EO of your choice

pop them in the freezer for about 20 minutes. I keep them in a jar in my bathroom until i am ready to use!

Have you tried this recipe with different oils? Or adding different oils do you think it would still work, or be too oily, also your recipe would make a great solid lotion bar I think

There's not much going on in these forums is there? You think everyone is still using the online site?

I don't use wax in melts. I use ewax (emulsifying wax) to make the oils/butters water soluble. Technically, I guess they're not water soluble but they mix with the water and don't form a film on top. Some people use polysorbate 80.

Sorry! My bad! :oops: I wondered because in the previous post you had written you had found a similar recipe online and would post in a minute. I didn't realize you meant you would post your own recipe.

:-D that's my "like"

I use un-deoderized cocoa butter, baking soda, citric acid, Lavender EO and a touch of almond oil. The scent of chocolate and lavender is heaven! They fizz and melt in the tub and keep very well as long as you are not holding them because the do melt in your hands.
I never thought of lavender and chocolate together! might have to try it!

Can you use gemol or whatever its called, its what you add to make water and oil mix I guess its an emulsifier as well

Do you mean a preservative like Germall? If so, you don't need a preservative for bath melts because you're not using water to make them. You could add tocopherol or rosemary oleoresin extract to help slow rancidity. Also, preservatives aren't emulsifiers.

I just re-read this topic because it's been so long, I'd forgotten it. Now I wish I had some natural cocoa butter and lavender EO like marghewitt mentioned. You people are a bad influence. I always want more supplies to try something different. :lol:

Latest posts

Back