What happens is you pour too hot?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnePlus

Reaction score
What would happen if I did not wait for my oils or my lye/water to cool before I mixed them? Or if I mixed them at a very high temperature say 150-160 degrees? Just curious is this would have any negative effects?

you can reach trace too quickly to pour as liquid, or if you use an FO or EO, it can seize (depending on the individual FO or EO), but if not that - then most probably nothing bad IME.

the entire world will come to an end.

or you'll get a volcano
or separation
or a seize

or maybe nothing at all. it will depend on the oils, the temps and the fo/eo and anything else you added to the mix.

Its not good.

my loaf molds WAY overheated AND seperated and look like soap barf that smells REALLY good lol!

I started using premixed lye (50/50). Well since I am usually waiting on my lye to cool, my oils are cooling as well...got ahead of myself (was too excited!) and forgot to start my oils melting early enough. Once the process was under way, I forgot the oils were still too warm.

28oz of oils times THREE (and a half) in the trash...the soap poured into individual molds stayed ungelled and are beautiful though.

Oh my goodness, I had a bad experience of this just recently. I was making a batch of cp shaving soap and put the pot on the larger element instead of the smaller (I hadn't soaped in quite a while and didn't think :roll: ) anyways right before my eyes the stuff looked...well....evil lol, it seperated so badly no amount of stick blending would do it justice.
In the end I left it over night, re heated in the morning and although it didn't come out the way I would have liked I was still able to save it.

Latest posts

Back