coconut oil moisturizer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txsoaper

Reaction score
I came across some information online that says straight unrefined virgin coconut oil is a fantastic facial moisturizer. There was a recipe which is as follows:

3 heaping tablespoons coconut oil
1/4 cup organic safflower oil
1 tablespoon shaved beeswax
10-20 drops of essential oil or tee tree oil (optional)

I am thinking about trying this one but was wondering if anyone has tried anything like this and what your results were. I don't have any safflower oil on hand and was thinking of using either jojoba or olive or maybe both! :wink:

Hi.

That sounds wonderful, except that I don't particularly care for beeswax on my face.

I do make a facial oil that includes that lovely extra virgin coconut oil. Add a wonderful sweetness to the herbal fragrance of it.

You may consider making a very light, greaseless oil for the face? :)

I am not really sure I like the idea of beeswax on my face either, but think it is in the recipe to make the coconut oil and other ingredients more creamy instead of runny. I have never made anything like this, so I have no idea of what the substitutes might be to make it all more of a creamy texture and still be good for the face without causing breakouts.

txsoaper said:
I came across some information online that says straight unrefined virgin coconut oil is a fantastic facial moisturizer. There was a recipe which is as follows:

3 heaping tablespoons coconut oil
1/4 cup organic safflower oil
1 tablespoon shaved beeswax
10-20 drops of essential oil or tee tree oil (optional)

I am thinking about trying this one but was wondering if anyone has tried anything like this and what your results were. I don't have any safflower oil on hand and was thinking of using either jojoba or olive or maybe both! :wink:
I use virgin coconut oil on my face - it's an outstanding makeup remover (and cooking oil).

Interesting recipe. Wonder how much a heaping table spoon is.

My thought exactly :wink: I plan to measure everything out when I do my scoops and put it into grams for more precise measuring next time...that is if it turns out nicely! I have heard wonderful things about coconut oil as a moisturizer and that is why i want to try this recipe. I am hoping with the beeswax it will make the mix a creamy consistency instead of a runny oil. I do worry about too much beeswax...doesn't it clog pores or cause breakouts? I am not sure. What other natural things can be used as a thickening agent?

:?

Well, the coconut oil is solid at room temp. Maybe mixed with oil at the right ratio may provide the creaminess you are looking for. Emu oil (if you are not vegan) is that creamy consistency - and may help with that. You may also consider a butter instead of a wax.

Just ideas. ;)

I think what i will try is deleting the beeswax and trying some lecithin to thicken it up a little.

Hello,

You might not need this info but I thought I’d post it anyway. I make a “butter” for my face and it’s very easy. However, I’m not sure how firm it will be after you blend it together because I always use mango butter. It’s also a greasy recipe and it makes about 5 oz. I don’t add a preservative so I’m careful to make sure my hands are clean and dry before I use it.

85 g coconut oil
28 g jojoba oil
28 g olive oil
3 g glycerin
2 g Vitamin E

Melt the coconut oil in the microwave. Place in the freezer until it develops a skin on top (it won’t take too long). Take it out and start whipping it with a stick blender. After it's whipped up some, add in the other oils, glycerin and Vitamin E and blend some more. Pour into a container and leave uncapped until it cools.

Like I said, I always use mango butter so the coconut oil might make for a softer butter. I do have a recipe which uses beeswax and lecithin so if you want something that's a little more cream-like, let me know and I'll post it.

HTH

Hazel, thanks so much for the recipe. So you use mango butter and no coconut...right? I have some mango butter and may try it your way. I have mixed this up and have been using it, but my skin is still pretty dry a little while after using it. I wonder if the coconut is maybe a little too drying for my skin??? I would love to see your other more creamy recipe and maybe I could try it this weekend, that is if I have all the ingredients. I am snowed in and have nothing better to do than experiment! Thanks for your help, I appreciate it very much. :D

Yes, I do use coconut oil in it. Here's how I do it for myself because I have very dry and aging skin. I really didn't have directions to it, I just did this for myself. So, I wrote the directions and I hope I remembered the sequence correctly. I haven't made it for awhile because I'm not through the container I'm using and I still have another in the frig.

A tiny bit goes a long, long way and it takes awhile to absorb. I was trying to come up with something for underneath my eyes. It was so oily that I kept massaging it further and further down my face. :lol: You don't have to put the glycerin in but I did because it's a humectant. Be careful around your eyes, because it can creep up into them. It won't hurt but your eye sight will be blurred for awhile...yep, blurred for quite awhile. :roll:

You can substitute olive oil for the SAO or AKO. You could also substitute another butter for the mango. I used these because they're what I have among my supplies. Also, I rarely have problems with clogged pores so I don't know if this would cause you to break out.

Facial Butter

85 g mango butter
28 g coconut oil
28 g sweet almond oil or apricot kernel oil
3 g glycerin
2 g Vitamin E

Melt mango butter in the microwave until it reaches between 160 to 176 degrees, hold at the temperature for approximately 15-20 minutes. Take it out and add in coconut oil. Stir until coconut oil is completely melted and then add sweet almond oil and glycerin. Stir again and then set in freezer until a skin starts to appear. Next start whipping it with stick blender for a couple of minutes, add Vitamin E and blend a little longer. Pour into 1 or 2 oz containers and leave uncapped until it’s completely cooled. It should look like a pale yellowish balm. Store in a refrigerator until ready to use

Snowed in, eh? Well, if you're feeling ambitious and want to play. :wink: This is a variation on what technically would be considered a massage lotion/cream so it also takes awhile to absorb. I usually add a small amount of essential oils like lavender, geranium, lemon, etc. But only a small amount since it's going on my face. It's very, very oily and again, you only need a small amount. I thought of it when you mentioned beeswax and lecithin. I slotted in the oils that you mentioned in place of what I use.

I don't have this recipe in grams. I've always used measuring cups and spoons. One of these days, I'll have to weigh everything out. This makes about 16-17 oz if I remember correctly. Again, I had to write out directions for this. If you have any questions, just let me know and I'll try to make it clearer. Also, please don't be offended if I've told you something you already know.

Lotion/Cream

Oil Phase

3/4 cup jojoba or olive oil
1/3 cup coconut oil
2 tbsp liquid lecithin
1 Tbls beeswax

Water Phase

2/3 cup aloe vera juice or distilled water
1/3 cup aloe vera gel
1 tsp glycerin or sodium lactate

Slowly melt oils, lecithin and beeswax in microwave in a 4 cup Pyrex container or any heat proof container with high sides (stir in between heatings). After you’ve melted them, set aside and heat aloe juice (or water), aloe gel and glycerin. I usually slowly heat this up to about 135 degrees, stirring occasionally. It won’t be fully liquid - it will still have a gel like consistency.

You want to have water phase and oil phase at approximately the same temperature. (I usually have to stick the oils in the frig to help bring the temperature down so I can start blending when the water phase comes out of the microwave.) Using a stick blender, start to blend the oils and then slowly pour the aloe mixture into it. Continue to blend for a few minutes.

After this has cooled down below 120 degrees, blend in

1 tsp Vitamin E
1 tsp Optiphen (or whatever preservative you prefer)

Blend for another couple of minutes and then pour into your container. Leave uncapped until it cools; otherwise, you'll have condensation in your container. You can use it right away but it continue to thicken a little more over the next day or so.

I hope this helps you. Please let me know how they turn out if you make them.

eta: This was brought to my attention recently. I'd forgotten I'd posted this recipe. Now that I know better, you should always heat and hold both phases at at least 160F for 15-20 minutes. Also, weigh everything because it's more accurate than using volume measurements.

If you don't want the beeswax you can use btms50. I know it is an emulsifier but it would give it a firmer consistancy plus you get that extra conditioning along with it. Personally I would use the extra virgin coconut cream straight on my face. I have very oily skin so I can't use it but I LOVE the smell of the extra virgin. Wish regular coconut oil smelled that way!

Latest posts

Back