my M&P soap changes its scent after use

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

synapse

Reaction score
Hi all! New here, but have really gotten into M&P soap making lately and love my new hobby! I have a quick question...

Simply put, the scent of my current batch of soap seems to be changing. It smells one way when taken out of the molds (the way I want it to smell) and changes once it enters the shower with me and is used... it goes from light and sweet to heavy a bit more sour.

For a base, I used premium Goat's Milk soap by Crafter's Choice (http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/premium-goat-milk-mp-soap-base-2-lb-tray.aspx). Once melted down, I added a total of 12 mL (0.4 oz) of mixed EOs (cinnamon, allspice, clove, ginger) to 1 pound of soap base.

Could the smell be changing because..
1) I'm adding too much EO?
2) a reaction is taking place between different EOs?
3) a reaction with the Goats Milk M&P because of its detergent or its coconut oil base?

Any thoughts on this? Wondering what alterations I can make to perfect this recipe. Any suggestions or insights would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Have you tried any of your MP base in the shower without any scent added? There's nothing in the EOs you're adding that should make 'sour', so I'd suspect you're smelling the actual soap then. The EO combination you're using is one that should play nice together.

Thanks for your insight. Is it possible that it isn't the soap base or the EO's, but a negative reaction by combining the two?

I think I will try a new M&P base... maybe unscented, maybe less detergent, maybe something other than Goat's Milk. It will be interesting to see if a new base will help the scent stabilize!

I think I will try a new M&P base... maybe unscented, maybe less detergent, maybe something other than Goat's Milk. It will be interesting to see if a new base will help the scent stabilize!

Wait, did the base you used have scent already added, then you added your EO combination to it? That might have been your culprit, if that's the case. Hmm, probably not though, don't see fragrance on the ingredient list, or anything that might be fragrance hiding under another name.

Thanks @ lisamaliga! I will certainly look into those.

@Kittish - I'm not seeing fragrance either. Maybe some ingredient is impacting the overall scent of the EOs.....

Back