Fragrance Oil Review Chart Link

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am planning on testing some new FOs tonight & I intend to add reviews using the new process. I'd be happy to offer some feedback.:)
As of right now, I'm a little confused though. Do I request edit status from you, DeeAnna? Or should I PM/email you with the data for you to add? For instance, one of the suppliers is new & I am unable to view the Supplier Add form- I'm not sure what data is needed.

"...Do I request edit status from you, DeeAnna? Or should I PM/email you with the data for you to add?..."

I am strongly encouraging everyone to use the forms rather than ask for editor access or ask me to add their reviews. I'd like this to be as self-service as possible.

The reason for adding the forms to the FO Review is to allow anyone to contribute at any time while still protecting the integrity of the data in the FO Review. We were seeing a lot of problems cropping up in recent months before editor access was restricted.

The other reason for the forms is to help users create reviews that have a more consistent format. When the FO Reviews could be edited directly, some people were creating reviews that were not especially useful. For example, a review might say the FO was faint, but didn't say how much FO was used. So was it just that the soaper didn't use enough FO in the batch or that the FO didn't stick? Knowing that might make a big difference!

I concede if a person is used to adding reviews in the pre-Form era, it will take a bit of practice to get used to using the forms instead. But I'd like to think using a form will become easier after a time or two, so I ask people to give the forms a fair try.

"...For instance, one of the suppliers is new & I am unable to view the Supplier Add form..."

Oh, gosh, thank you for letting me know!!! I had accidentally made an error that caused the form to not be available to users. The form is fixed now and back in service, thanks to your help. Here is the link to the Supplier Add/Edit form: https://goo.gl/forms/zmmBghyyUEpNA2vD3

"...For instance, one of the suppliers is new & I am unable to view the Supplier Add form..."

Oh, gosh, thank you for letting me know!!! I had accidentally made an error that caused the form to not be available to users. The form is fixed now and back in service, thanks to your help. Here is the link to the Supplier Add/Edit form: https://goo.gl/forms/zmmBghyyUEpNA2vD3[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I just submitted it the New Supplier Form. I think it's very user friendly so far.

Thanks, Cellador! I was doing some other work on the FO Review today and have already added your new supplier to the Supplier sheet. I'm glad to see you didn't have any trouble once I fixed my problem.

Speaking in general -- I don't necessarily incorporate additions and updates to the sheets every day, but I do try to get this housekeeping done at least once a week.

A followup to my post on 4 October --

If you have problems using the Review, please remember I can't make things better if I don't know any specifics about what is not working well. I am asking users of the FO Review to be a part of the solution by sharing your constructive suggestions for improvement.

At this point, all I know is someone isn't happy, but I don't know why. If I don't know why, I can't make things better. That's a discouraging place to be in.

Oh my goodness - I am so sorry!!! I did not mean to discourage, but complaining does that, doesn't it? Please accept my apology. I just saw this come through in my email on updates. I will go back and list another fragrance oil and then come back here and be specific. I am 100% in agreement about being part of the solution, not the problem, DeeAnna. Off the top of my head, proving I was not a robot was my greatest frustration. I'd click cars and then it'd give me yet another screen! Argh! But... I will be back with specifics. And if I am the only one who is frustrated, just ignore me! :bunny:

A followup to my post on 4 October --

If you have problems using the Review, please remember I can't make things better if I don't know any specifics about what is not working well. I am asking users of the FO Review to be a part of the solution by sharing your constructive suggestions for improvement.

At this point, all I know is someone isn't happy, but I don't know why. If I don't know why, I can't make things better. That's a discouraging place to be in.

I went in and added Garden Mint by CS. The "prove you are not a robot" thing was not there this time, so that saved time. Adding my email address felt like an unnecessary additional step. It seems any questions could be asked through this site via username. But other than that, those 2 additional steps (one of which did not show up this time) felt like 2 additional steps that sucked my time. Otherwise, because it is all so step-by-step and organized, it did take a smidge longer than tab tab tab, but I do like the organization. Those cars pushed me over the edge...:headbanging: "I am NOT a robot!"

Thank you for taking precious time to organize this list. I find it very helpful, and I do wish more people would share. In the end, it does save us time and money, allowing us a greater chance on narrowing in on the fragrance we are looking for.
SO THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! And I sincerely apologize for whining. <3

Hi, Lisa --

Thank you for the feedback -- I appreciate your perspective! I definitely don't think you're whining! ;)

I understand why the "prove you're not a robot" is annoying. I agree with you. I'll take another look and see if that's an optional thing, but at the moment, I'm thinking it's not. But I promise I'll double check.

Requiring an email address is not strictly required -- that is something I know I can turn on or off. The reason why I currently have this feature turned on is that you don't have to be an SMF member or even have a Google account to submit a new review or update an existing review. I'd like to have a way of identifying people in case there's a question or a problem.

I also need a good way to identify someone if they submit an update to an existing FO review. I think only the original reviewer should be able to do an update. Since I can't count on all reviewers to have SMF user names, requiring an email addy seemed to be the best way to go to be able to connect a person to a specific review.

I'm open to discussing the pros and cons of this policy. I don't always see all sides of a particular issue, so please share your thoughts.

Is there a way to find out what reviews I have posted under my user name? I thought I had made a few reviews, but I can't find any of them.

Is there a way to find out what reviews I have posted under my user name? I thought I had made a few reviews, but I can't find any of them.

It's not going to be super quick and easy to search for your reviews, Bathgeek, because the reviews are divided up by company rather than contained in a single database.

It is possible, however, to check each company's sheet for any reviews you might have contributed. Here's one way to do this that will be helpful for companies with a lot of reviews:

Click on the tab for the company you want to check.
Click on any cell that lies in the column of SMF usernames.
In the menu at the top of the screen, look for the DATA menu.
Click on DATA and you will see a drop-down list.
Click on the first pick that says SORT SHEET BY COLUMN ... A-->Z.
The sheet should then be sorted by SMF username.
Look for your username.

I hope this is helpful!

So, I have submitted a couple of reviews, and it's a pretty easy process. The only part that's a little tedious to me is providing all the recipe data. I have to go back to my recipe notes and find all my info to input it into the last page. It won't deter me from submitting reviews, but it does add a little extra time to the process.

Recipe info is totally optional, so don't feel any pressure to contribute that if it's a pain or you would prefer to not share that info.

Thanks for the feedback, Cellador!

From the start of October through today, 26 new reviews have been added to the FO Review database. Check 'em out! https://goo.gl/HWMasd

American Soap Supplies Midnight Breeze
Bramble Berry Ginger Ale
Bulk Apothecary Orange Chiffon Cake
Candle Science Garden Mint
Candle Science Orange Blossom
Candle Science White Birch
Elements Bath & Body Calabrian Bergamot and Violet
New Directions Aromatics (US, Canada) Fresh linen
New Directions Aromatics (US, Canada) Green Mint
New Directions Aromatics (US, Canada) White pear and green tea
Nurture Soap Supplies Cinders
Nurture Soap Supplies Winter Wonderland
Save On Scents Brut (type)
Sweetcakes Woodlands
Wholesale Supplies Plus Almond & Honey 143
Wholesale Supplies Plus Autumn Breeze #535
Wholesale Supplies Plus Black Chamomile
Wholesale Supplies Plus Burmese Wood
Wholesale Supplies Plus Coconut & Blue Agave
Wholesale Supplies Plus Espresso
Wholesale Supplies Plus Frosted Birch & Juniper
Wholesale Supplies Plus Lavender Chamomile
Wholesale Supplies Plus Lemon Lavender
Wholesale Supplies Plus Rain - Fragrance Formulator #10
Wholesale Supplies Plus Spiked Cider
Wholesale Supplies Plus White Gardenia

New reviews added since 4 November:

Bramble Berry Spiced Red Tea
Bramble Berry Turquoise
Bramble Berry Fruity Fusion
Bramble Berry Sultry Black Jasmine

Bulk Apothecary Roasted Oatmeal Stout FO

From Nature With Love Sandalwood
From Nature With Love Vetiver
From Nature With Love Cherry, Plant Based
From Nature With Love Apricot, Plant-Based
From Nature With Love Cardamom & Primrose, Plant-based
From Nature With Love Cananga Flower, Plant-Based

Nurture Soap Supplies Rainforest (formerly Jungle)
Nurture Soap Supplies Somali Soul
Nurture Soap Supplies Dragon Moon

Save On Scents Scottish Coast

Wholesale Supplies Plus Ozonic Fragrance Formulator # 9
Wholesale Supplies Plus Banana Coconut

Review updates:

Eroma (Australia) Moroccan Spice

Thank you to all who have contributed to the reviews!

Their Bergamot&Chamomile is one of my favorites. It is a light scent in soap and it comes back when wet. I pour at 1oz per pound of batter (~6%) but you could go with 1oz ppo. I also have tested the Lavender/Flowers, also poured at ~6%. It is a light lavender floral in the Tassi lavender family as opposed to the French variety. It is nice but I smell some notes that make me think synthetic right away. This could be my nose. You may not smell them at all which would make Lavender Flowers a nice floral FO. Neither discolored or accelerated on me.

Never tried the other 2. I'm curious about Earth. Let us know how you like it.

Earth is my all time favorite. I do it by itself, I've blended it with patchouli, blended with cedarwood. I guess I love the dirt scent!

I don't have a Paid email and I have access.

Maybe they changed the rule since 2006? :)

According to the written rules posted on her site, nothing has changed, i.e., all registration requests must be made using a paid ISP addy. All others (such as Hotmail, Yahoo, GMail, AOL, etc...) will be discarded. Hmmm... very interesting!

IrishLass :)

I have yahoo, always have, no pay.
I have been a member since 2006. ALTHOUGH, I only posted 5 times from Oct 2006 - June 2007 so this must be an old rule that I would be grandfathered ? Or maybe I had someone Sponsor me back then as I think it was a closed group ??
I can't remember that far back.
These are my posts
http://soapscentreview.obisoap.ca/search.php?author_id=1271&sr=posts Nothing special

I just noticed that that site is not very busy or not many new postings

Latest posts

Back