Crumbly

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChristyTen

Reaction score
Lately any soap I make with palmoil seems to be crumbly and doesn't hold the scent as it should.

batch 26-12-17.jpg

What is your full recipe and method?

Based on the pic it looks like you are waiting too long to cut but a recipe will help us troubleshoot further.

It looks to me like it hasn't gelled. If it's ungelled, and you cut too soon, it can have a texture like that, soft and crumbly. Does it zap? If it does, you need to wait longer to cut because it's still going through the saponification process.

Thank you for thinking along.
I had wrapped my soaps up in towels and it was placed above the working diswasher. I usually soap somewhere else and this was the first time here and I think it may have been too hot a place for it.
CP method.
It did zap this morning actually. It doesn't zap now and the scent has come back and is absolutely divine.
My recipe:
coconut oil 400
palmoil 800
rapeseedoil 400
safflower 600
water 825
Lye 295
Scents:
Roos Randall's 15
Almond and Lavender 25
Amandelbloesem 28

I deducted about 20 grams of water from the recipe to make a bar that's dry faster.
Also added 2 grams of silk tussah

I had wrapped my soaps up in towels and it was placed above the working diswasher. I usually soap somewhere else and this was the first time here and I think it may have been too hot.

I deducted about 20 grams of water from the recipe to make a bar that's dry faster.

Do you use a lye calculator?
If you soap overheats that can make it crumbly.
If you use too much lye it can make it crumbly.

Lye was according to the calculator on Soapee.com and that is identical to soapcalc.
The scent is fully back now and only the slightly crumbly texture remains.
It may even have been the new silicone molds.

Latest posts

Back