How to use lip balm sweetener

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toyah999

Reaction score
Hi, I'm making lip balm for the first time and I'm a little unsure how to use the lip smacking sweetener. It says to use it at 1-3% if used with a flavour oil which it will be but is that percentage for the lip flavour or the whole lip balm? I assume I put 1-3% of the whole lip balm batch but I wanted to make sure. Can someone confirm this for me please. Also I know that you can use micas to colour the balm, if used at the right percentage rate do the micas stain your lips after removing the balm? I know these are probably silly questions but I'm new to this and want to get it right the first time, thanks everyone!

The percentage is based on the batch weight, Toyah, just looking at the context of the sentence:

"...The recommended usage rate is 1-3% when used with another flavor and up to 6% without flavor. Does not contain aspartame...."
From: http://www.brambleberry.com/Lip-Smacking-Sweet-Flavor-Oil-P4679.aspx

As far as the micas ... I can't help you there. I hope someone else answers that question for you....

I have used mica in my lip balms in the past. First make sure they are safe for use on lips, not all micas are. Second, no they don't really leave any color on the lips. At least in my experience To get it to color your lips you need to add titanium dioxide which not done but have looked into doing.

Thanks DeeAnna, that's what I thought. Thanks also Shunt2011 but what's the deal with titanium dioxide, it's white isn't it? Does it help other colours to stick or something?

The only thing I've ever gotten out of adding mica to lip balm is really just a little sparkle.

For sweetener, I use based on a percentage of the total batch weight. Check when buying your flavor oils to see if they are pre-sweetened. Most are not.

I tried a lipstick tutorial that was on Brambleberry

http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-b...ducts/learn-how-to-make-radiant-red-lipstick/

I hope the link works this is my first time posting a link. It takes a huge amount of mica to make a color show on your lips. It worked great and everyone that tried the lipstick was pleased. Hope this helps to give you an idea on how much colorant to order. I also made a pink using the same measurement of mica just in a different color.

Back