Whipped Shea Butter?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just curious, does the whipped shea stay whipped in the jars or must it be refrigerated when not in use. thanks will have to give this a try, sounds yummy....

Here's what I do:

Put unmelted Shea Butter into bowl, add Jojba oil and whip. While I'm whipping it with my mixmaster I have cocoa butter melting - once it's melted I add a little cornstarch to it, and stir well - I then add that to my Shea/Jojoba mixture and continue whipping at high speed until it's the consistancy I want. I don't melt my Shea because I have found that it can get grainy when heated, whereas this way it doesn't and it makes a wonderful consistancy without having to use a freezer or ice water.

HTH

The woman wants me to make just shea NOTHING added she linked me to this product sold over there in US i think :oops: can just add nothing?? :oops:

Thanks Lindy will give it ago :D

does this stuff have to stay in the fridge to keep its whipped texture? will it melt if it is in a house on the shelf? or in a bathroom where it can get humid?

humidity is not the issue - it's the temperature of the room. in my house it's fine, but I don't know how hot yours gets.

I made a couple batches of whipped body butter yesterday using a recipe that includes water, a preservative and emulsifying wax, stearic acid, shea (or mango butter) and cocoa butter, CO and glycerine. I added a tsp of cornstarch to the second batch to see if it helps with the greasy feel on the skin.

It was very easy to do, just melt the butters, warm the water and glycerin then slowly combine them together and then whip it until it cools and it forms peaks. My understanding is that is won't fall or deflate since it's emulsified. It's not firm like the Body Shop's body butter...more like a fluffy thick cream.

If I wanted to firm it up a bit, do you think I could reduce the water? Or should I add some beeswax? Add something else?

Would love your input here.

I'm a little confused as to when I add the soft oil and FO. I guess I've read one to many recipes! Do I melt the Shea, cool, add oil & whip or am i suppose to add the oils before I cool? I've also read recipes where you add the FO oil directly the the olive oil and other sites that say you add the oil after it's melted then add the FO after it's cooled a little. Ugh, i'm totally confused...

ShearDelight said:
I'm a little confused as to when I add the soft oil and FO. I guess I've read one to many recipes! Do I melt the Shea, cool, add oil & whip or am i suppose to add the oils before I cool? I've also read recipes where you add the FO oil directly the the olive oil and other sites that say you add the oil after it's melted then add the FO after it's cooled a little. Ugh, i'm totally confused...

I add the soft oil to the melted shea butter. Add your FO last when the whole batch has cooled quite a bit. The point is, you don't want to burn off the FO mixing it into too hot butter & oil. I usually add my FO while the mix is still creamy, but before it starts forming peaks that hold their shape.

Hope that makes sense.

Latest posts

Back