Bubblegum salt bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugar_soap

Reaction score
Tried out my first salt bar using 200gr salt with lard, OO, sunflower oil and sweet almond oil @ a total of 550gr with coconut milk thrown in as 50% of the liquid & 10% superfat. I also added 1 tbsn sugar with the lye water for lather. I just made up the numbers on the go and used a lye calculator for amount of lye & liquid.

My only worry is that most salt bars seems to use CO but I've run out and been waiting ages for stock from Soaposh (about 3 weeks now). So are there any downside to not using any CO?

Your recipe may not lather well. High coconut oil is needed with salt soap as it is the only thing it will lather well with. Most salt bars are 75-100% CO. I like 80-85% CO with 10-15% Avocado and 5% Castor.

ahh...:???:. I had creamy value at 23 in soap calc so just added the sugar. And kept my fingers crossed too:p

Unfortunetly they most likely will not lather at all. If you find that happens and you hate it you could grind them up and add them to a batch of 100% coconut oil soap with a superfat of at least 15%.

would you have to add lye again to that tho? like re-calculate the whole batch and then deduct the amount's i've already used?

would you have to add lye again to that tho? like re-calculate the whole batch and then deduct the amount's i've already used?

You don't have to add lye to the ground-up soap, if that's what you are asking. Just grind it up and set it aside somewhere.

Then, when you go to make a brand new batch of soap, calculate the oils, water and lye for your new batch as you would normally do, and then when you've got it all mixed and at trace, just add in your ground-up soap to the batter as you would any other kind of additive.

IrishLass :)

ok thanks for that :)

was hoping the coconut milk and sugar would help but we'll see

& the result was a disaster...soap was still spongy in places after more than 24 hours and it stuck to the silicon mold so when I pushed it out the edges broke off:/ not enough salt I would say as I put in less than 50% of the amount of oils

057.jpg

062.jpg

061.jpg

Latest posts

Back