Can You Help Me with my Body Butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stubby123

Reaction score
I recently made some body butter. I had all the ingredients so I thought, what the heck. I used the 75-25 ratios. Butters were cocoa butter, shea butter and mango butter and 25% oil of my choice. It is wonderful, soaks in quickly, feels great. BUT...it got hard, its not fluffy anymore. Maybe I didn't whip it enough, altho I thought I did. Maybe it was the cocoa butter, too much. So can anyone advise me so my next batch will be fluffy. I can decrease the cocoa butter, but not sure which butter I should increase, mango or shea..any advise will be helpful. Im ready to try it again. Thanks for reading this and I hope you can give me a helping hand.

On my last batch (and Im making more this weekend) I used 1:1:1 ratios of hard oils:coconut:soft oils.

What I ended up using was:
Mango butter 2 parts
Shea butter 2 parts
Coconut oil 4 parts
Hemp oil (infused w lavender) 3 parts
Jojoba Oil 1 Part

It went on kind of oily, but then sank right into my skin, and never went hard in the jar (though it did go liquid in the tropics). I think my next batch will have Evening Primrose in the oils because I have some I need to use up.

I hope something here helps :)

Thank you so much for your time. I added a little more oil and its more to my liking. The next batch will be better Im sure.

I find that shea and mango can both be grainy unless tempered. I personally cannot stand coconut oil in a whipped body butter because it's too greasy. I use roughly 75% butters to 25% oils. I used to use cocoa butter but I ran out and made some without it. I upped my liquid oils to replace the cocoa amount and found I like it that way much better. It's more creamy and smooth and doesn't get as hard even though I was only using 5% cocoa.

Also, how long did you whip it? Did you melt all of your butters together first?

I just made one with 50% firm oils (I'd avoid cocoa- too hard), 25% coconut, 25% rice bran oil. I found it stayed way, way fluffier than when I make the same recipe with a different liquid oil, yet it's less greasy at the same time.

When I melted, I melted very slowly. I remade what I had left and added just a tad more oil and whipped it till it was almost cool. This time it didn't set up so hard. Its still wonderful and melts quickly on the skin and lasts on my hands thru one hand washing. My next try I will lower the cocoa butter and up the shea. It been two weeks since my first batch and no graininess. Thank you everyone for your comments. This was my first try. I will be infusing my oil next time with lemon balm to add some extra properties to my body butter. I used the avocado oil because I had it on hand. I also have sunflower and safflower oil, not sure which would be best. Need to do some testing of the oils and see how they feel alone. I like the properties in avocado and sunflower. Which oil do you prefer? Im glad I joined this group.

Latest posts

Back