~*~ SMF January 2018 Challenge- Hidden Heart Swirl! ~*~
~ Last Look At November 2017 Challenge Photos~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Announcements and Site News > The Introduction Forum > Hi Soapers!

Old 01-03-2018, 09:53 PM   #1
elurah

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Hi Soapers!

Hi everyone! I have been lurking here for a bit and I have really loved how active and helpful everyone is. I realized I really should start posting and contributing myself.

I am on and off active on the dish forum and even participated in a soap swap once. my username there is alliebauer.

I started making soap ~10 years ago. I have done it off an on since then because my studies took up a lot of my time. It's still one of my favorite hobbies and I would love to branch out to salves and lotions. I actually bought a huge amount of arnica flowers to play around with.

I'm from Texas (San Antonio) and I go to med school in Philly. I graduate in May! My schedule is much lighter now and I am so happy to have some free time to make soap again.

Last three things I made:
(1) CP soap with heavy cream and whole grain oat flour. Full gel.
(2) CP soap scented with rosemary, lavender, and japanese peppermint EO. Did a full water recipe to give me time and attempted a tiger stripe. Half of the batch was uncolored, the other half had a mixture of cambrain blue clay, indigo root, and kelp powder. Wanted it ungelled so its hibernating in the fridge right now.
(3) Lavender eo soap that was left white base color but had a stripe of lavender buds on the bottom 1/3rd of the bar. ungelled by preference. I added way too many lavender buds and the lye made them more dark brown. I also dont really like the texture they give, so I will switch to cornflower petals on the next batch and see how that goes.

Warmly,
Allie

p.s. Will post photos soon.

People Like This 
Old 01-03-2018, 09:56 PM   #2
toxikon
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1502 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Welcome welcome!

If you're looking for another flowery additive to try, calendula petals are great. They stay nice and bright yellow in the soap!

MullersLaneFarm Likes This 
Old 01-03-2018, 09:56 PM   #3
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 7234 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 4722

Welcome, Allie!

IrishLass

Old 01-03-2018, 10:07 PM   #4
elurah

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxikon View Post
Welcome welcome!

If you're looking for another flowery additive to try, calendula petals are great. They stay nice and bright yellow in the soap!
Thanks for the advice! My dad loves soap with calendula flowers, and it is really pretty! When I was trying out recipes for a new base (no scent, no additives), he got really tired of all of my "boring" soap and coopted one of my recipes and added lavender eo and calendula flowers. It's actually one of my favorites! I am trying to expand my horizons with natural colorants and have a few I have never used and really want to try, including annato seed, coreopsis flower buds, spirulina, paprika, and alkanet root.

Yesterday was my first time using indigo root. I got mine from BB but it looks like color turnout really varies depending on source: https://www.greatcakessoapworks.com/...-process-soap/

I was okay with a more muted grey look but it would be awesome to get some of those deep dusty blues. Thanks for saying hello!

Old 01-03-2018, 10:14 PM   #5
jewels621
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 672 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 713

Welcome, Allie! I can't wait to see your soaps!

Old 01-04-2018, 12:41 AM   #6
elurah

Hi all! I was able to take some photos. Because of the lighting they all look a bit more yellow than in real life. The lavender soap irl is more the color of heavy cream.

1. Oatmeal and Heavy Cream Soap 12/30/17
https://ibb.co/hjDJpw
You can see the loaf gelled while the small pyramids remain ungelled. I prefer the look of ungelled soap and I actually put this in the fridge, but the sugar in the cream probably increased the temp. Heavy cream was 5% of oil weight (in addition to and added at trace, was not used as a sub for oils.) My usual water:lye ratio is 1.8:1 so I ended up not substracting more water to account for cream. Whole grain oat flour (Bob's red mill) added at .5 TBS/ppo.

2. Cedarwood (Himalayan, NDA) and Rosewood Natural Blend (NDA) 11/26/17
https://ibb.co/nFn6bb
The lighter color is rhassoul clay 2tsp ppo and the darker color is cocoa powder 3/4tsp ppo. This was my first attempt at a spin swirl and the soap ended up being too thick to work with comfortably. I also thought I could let the lasy susan go with one big spin and a hearty portion of soap flew of out of the mold and onto the floor. Imo, the himalayan cedarwood has a weird sweet afternote that the rosewood enhances. I am going to repeat the recipe with either atlas cedarwood (cedrus)or the texas/virginia cedarwoods (juniperus).

3. Lavender EO (NDA) 11/25/17
https://ibb.co/g7C02G
As I mentioned earlier, I put wayyy too many lavender buds. I did it by eye. I still like the soap and the ungelled look makes it appear particularly creamy, I think. I want to try this again with cornflower petals which I think will have a better color and texture outcome. I poured the top layer too hastily in the traditional bar which is why the layer looks all wonky.

All together for color comparison.
https://ibb.co/kygA2G

Coming soon: just unmolded the Rosemary/Lavender/Mint w/ cambrian blue clay tiger stripe but I am too afraid to cut it yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

Last edited by elurah; 01-04-2018 at 12:43 AM. Reason: trouble posting photos
Millie Likes This 
Old 01-04-2018, 01:14 AM   #7
Millie

Liked 502 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 3083

Nice soaps! Welcome to SMF

Old 01-04-2018, 01:24 AM   #8
BroknArrw

Liked 37 Times on 9 Posts

Send a message via MSN to BroknArrw Send a message via Yahoo to BroknArrw

I am new at soap making and just South of Philly ; close to Chester. Nice having someone local.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:13 AM   #9
elurah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroknArrw View Post
I am new at soap making and just South of Philly ; close to Chester. Nice having someone local.
That's great! Always nice to have a local community

Old 01-04-2018, 03:39 AM   #10
dibbles
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2424 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 2853

Nice looking soaps. I think everyone feels the pain of lavender buds once - they are so pretty until the lye gets to them.