So Aggravated with Me

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have actually run out of NaOH and no time to make a run to pick up a bag, and cannot bring myself to pay $6.00 for a lb of lye at the hardware store, when I pay less than .50 a lb. Hubby got bored being home alone so much when I started having to spend 3-4 weeks at the parents he got a job driving a van for a retirement home, so now I cannot send him to pick up my lye and I am back to the parents next month. Seems dear sister cannot spend the 3 weeks she is supposed to.

I'd pay the extra at the hardware and keep on soaping. (And that's saying something because I am frugal!)
I find it therapeutic to SB etc thought of my sometimes annoying sister away! :evil: I don't know about you!

Or bite the bullet and pay the shipping for the 50 lb bag if you need to stock up with that quantity. $0.50 per pound plus shipping is still likely to be a whole lot less than $6 per pound.

Sometimes ya gotta do what you gotta do. ;)

Or bite the bullet and pay the shipping for the 50 lb bag if you need to stock up with that quantity. $0.50 per pound plus shipping is still likely to be a whole lot less than $6 per pound.

Sometimes ya gotta do what you gotta do. ;)
I would do that, but the Chemical Supply I purchase from will not ship to a residence which I fully understand otherwise I would. I just cannot talk myself into the $6 lb

I would do that, but the Chemical Supply I purchase from will not ship to a residence which I fully understand otherwise I would. I just cannot talk myself into the $6 lb

How about shipping to the retirement home hubby drives for?

Drat! That's a bummer for you, Carolyn, but I also understand businesses have rules and regs they have to live by.

I used to have freight shipments delivered to a friendly local business that had a suitable a loading dock. Until I got the proper equipment, shipments like this couldn't be delivered to my home-based shop (aka former garage). Too bad you can't sweet talk someone into helping you out that way.

Therapists charge between $100-$300/hour here in AZ. $6.00/lb should make a few batches of soap. BARGAIN!! You're saving hundreds.

Carolyn, that is unfortunate about your sister not giving you the break you deserve. Just for that reason I'd go and buy that lye and just ignore the price, don't even LOOk when you pay for it! :) I went to the hardware store once and bought lye because I ran out, I paid 25.00 for two pounds! Eeek!

I'll start off by saying that for situations like this, I tend to be rather incredibly coldly practical.

I'd bill your sister for the time she was supposed to stay and didn't. Seriously, she is not holding up her end of whatever agreement you have, and it's costing you (mentally and emotionally if not actual money). So figure out some reasonable amount for each day she was supposed to stay and didn't (isn't) and bill her, and insist she pay it. Or do what she agreed to do. One or the other. Or hire a caretaker and again, insist she pay a fair portion of the cost. "Family" is, to me, not some magical make-any-sort-of-abuse-okay word, though a lot of people seems to feel that simply being family should excuse all sorts of horrid behavior.

Unfortunately my sister has the same selfish personality traits as yours. I live 3 hours away and she is less than 10 minutes away. Guess who spent the majority of time with my Dad.

What if you just stand firm with her and tell her you are going to make her stand on her agreement for the 3 weeks and you are not going to bail her out this time. If she can't take it anymore, she can spend the $$ on paid caregivers.

You deserve the break away and don't cave in to her selfishness.

Where do you get lye cheaply? I buy from Lowe's, which is way over priced.

That is funny, and so true. I actually had a 2lb container in my hand today for 7.95 and put it back. Just could not do it !!
I think there's something seriously wrong with a soaper who can't bring herself to pay $7.95 for 2 lb. of NaOH from the hardware store because she's used to paying 50¢ per pound!
I can say that cuz, Lord help us, I'm one of them. Smack Laugh.gif

Latest posts

Back