Halloween brain candle

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wendybn

Reaction score
I am thinking about making a brain candle for Halloween but I've never made gel candles before. Is it possible to make the brain of red gel wax and do some kind dip(with soy wax?) to make it a different color on the outside and look like blood when burning? Or should I just make the inside soy wax also.

Thanks for any advice,
Wendy

I make "bleeding" skull candles.
The best way I know how to do it, is by pouring white wax into the mold (for you it would be the color of the outside of the brain) let that set up until it has about a 1/4" shell, and pour the excess wax out. Then color some wax red and pour in the rest of the candle. Purposely overwick the candle so it drips and viola, you have a "bleeding" candle. :)

Meant to add I also make "bleeding" tapers, by coloring the wick with red dye, then dipping in white wax. Tapers drip anyway, so this makes the drips blood red on a white taper. They are very popular this time of year.

Meant to add I also make "bleeding" tapers, by coloring the wick with red dye, then dipping in white wax. Tapers drip anyway, so this makes the drips blood red on a white taper. They are very popular this time of year.

Does the wick color show before it starts dripping? If it doesn't, you could also do gender reveal tapers, that drip either pink or blue.

Does the wick color show before it starts dripping? If it doesn't, you could also do gender reveal tapers, that drip either pink or blue.

Only if you don't color the tip, or the part that shows out of the candle. I've done gender reveal, green/red for Christmas, pastel for Easter, and pink for Valentines day.
Halloween you can do the drip red, but the outside doesn't have to be white, you can dip it orange, purple, and/or black. The possibilities are endless.
I've done a ton, but Halloween with the dripping red for blood or bleeding tapers/skulls are by far the most popular.

However, I will say, IF you do this, burn the candles within a year to 18 months, or the color from the wick will start to bleed/blend through the wax, and color the candle. Can still be pretty, as I've had some for several years, but they are no longer "white" tapers, they are more like pastel tie dye. LOL

Back