Shortest IQ Test?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittish

Enthusiastic Newbie
Reaction score
The "Cognitive Reflection" test:

THE COGNITIVE REFLECTION TEST

1. A bat and a ball cost £1.10 in total. The bat costs £1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

2. If it takes five machines five minutes to make five widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

3. In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of the lake?

Answers are in the link. I aced it. How many did you get correct?

I got all 3 right.....eventually. :lol: I got question#2 correct very quickly- that one was very easy for me, but #1 and #3 were a little bit trickier and took more time and a few nudging questions from my math-whiz hubby posed from the opposite perspective before the lightbulb switched on (i.e., he didn't give me the answers, but just helped me to think the 2 problems through for myself from different angles).

IrishLass :)

I got all 3 right.....eventually. :lol: I got question#2 correct very quickly- that one was very easy for me, but #1 and #3 were a little bit trickier and took more time and a few nudging questions from my math-whiz hubby posed from the opposite perspective before the lightbulb switched on (i.e., he didn't give me the answers, but just helped me to think the 2 problems through for myself from different angles).

3 was the easiest for me, got that one as soon as I read the question, 2 was the hardest for me and took some paper and pencil power. LOL

3 was the easiest for me, got that one as soon as I read the question, 2 was the hardest for me and took some paper and pencil power. LOL

:lol: Number 3 was the hardest for me.

It'll be interesting to see which questions everyone finds to be the easiest and the hardest.

I almost messed up and posted the answers. I had to edit it pretty quickly.
you're right, it'll be interesting to see what others say they thought of this test.

Haha, always knew I was average. After a day in retail, the first one was so easy: that's bogo plus tax! Guess they pay 10% across the pond. The second looked like a trick question (remember the playground riddle, "what is lighter, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?") so I thought it through and got it right. Last one I got right instantly :)

Does your IQ seem to change throughout the day? I play kakuro and read the forum with my first cup of coffee. At that time kakuro takes about five minutes. In the evening it takes me 2 or 3 times as long. In the evening I'm also cuddling kittens.

Last edited:
Haha, always knew I was average. After a day in retail, the first one was so easy: that's bogo plus tax! Guess they pay 10% across the pond. The second looked like a trick question (remember the playground riddle, "what is lighter, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?") so I thought it through and got it right. Last one I got right instantly :)

Does your IQ seem to change throughout the day? I play kakuro and read the forum with my first cup of coffee. At that time kakuro takes about five minutes. In the evening it takes me 2 or 3 times as long. In the evening I'm also cuddling kittens.

Hey! People who cuddle kittens are 50% smarter than those who don't (excepting those who must refrain due to allergies, but do dream of snuggling kitties while they sleep!)

I got every question wrong - I knew nothing would be obvious so I overthought, and when I overthink I get lost. Plus I'm horrible at math.

However, I have memorized 27 muscles, their locations, origins, inserts, and some of the actions in 3 days. Only 500ish more facts to memorize in 10 days!
:headbanging::headbanging::headbanging:

However, I have memorized 27 muscles, their locations, origins, inserts, and some of the actions in 3 days. Only 500ish more facts to memorize in 10 days!
Holy moly!

Glad I'm not the only one to get a question wrong, phew! Thanks folks for sharing your imperfections. We got other skillz :cool:

Holy moly!

Glad I'm not the only one to get a question wrong, phew! Thanks folks for sharing your imperfections. We got other skillz :cool:

Hey no worriesMillie - it's 3 questions out of a billion! So, if someone thinks they can measure a person's abilities with 3 questions - that just shows who REALLY is missing some skills!

Got 'em all, but my first instinct was for the common wrong answer on #1, but when I got to #2 and realized they were "trick" questions I went back and actually thought about #1.

Latest posts

Back