October 2017 SMF Soap Challenge, simple minimalistic swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At first, I was all in... :mrgreen: and then I thought about it and looked at the pics and... nope. :neutral:

I'm so intimidated and don't have the creative talent most have around these parts. CaraBou, PenelopeJane, BlackDog, Sunrise, I'll be on the lookout for everyone's soaps... no pressure! I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with...:)

At first, I was all in... :mrgreen: and then I thought about it and looked at the pics and... nope. :neutral:

I'm so intimidated and don't have the creative talent most have around these parts. CaraBou, PenelopeJane, BlackDog, Sunrise, I'll be on the lookout for everyone's soaps... no pressure! I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with...:)
Oh..... don't let that stop you! The point isn't to win or impress anyone, but to gain the experience and have some fun!

Join, join! The best way to learn, is to try new thing.

I am always learning.

A hearty second on what artemis said! We'll like them, that's pretty much a given. Have fun, explore something maybe a bit new. Maybe even learn something. That's always a plus.

Don't you dare not join in for these reasons! You will gain so much by joining in. No judgment here.....just education. And you might surprise yourself! Please play with us!

Soap Trey, the others are right. I think everyone felt the same as you the first time they joined. I know I did, and again when it was time to post my entry. I also think you will be surprised at how much fun it is.

1. Kittish! Minimalism I can do!
2. MommyCarlson - I'm in!
3. Rusti - me three!
4. jewels621 - coming in off of a post-SoapCon higher! I'm in!
5. dibbles - Love it!
6. BattleGnome - I can tongue-in-cheek make a Christmas present for my minimalist sister
7. Mx6inpenn - I'm thinking Christmas too
8. CaraBou - Oh yeah, uh huh!
9. PenelopeJane - Minimalist is easy! Right??
10. BlackDog - this is probably a lot harder than it looks
icon_think.gif

11. I agree with black dog. is a trick!
icon_mrgreen.gif

12. SoapTrey - I sincerely appreciate all the encouragement and because of that I'll give it a shot!

Soap Trey, the others are right. I think everyone felt the same as you the first time they joined. I know I did, and again when it was time to post my entry. I also think you will be surprised at how much fun it is.

Oh gosh, yes! My first challenge attempt was pretty bad (the failure actually turned out better than the entry). I entered it anyway. It was so much fun that I entered the next month, too.

3. Rusti - me three!
5. dibbles - Love it!
6. BattleGnome - I can tongue-in-cheek make a Christmas present for my minimalist sister
icon_think.gif

11. SunRiseArts I agree with black dog. is a trick!
icon_mrgreen.gif

12. SoapTrey - I sincerely appreciate all the encouragement and because of that I'll give it a shot!
13. Earlene - LOL - Lucky 13

Last edited:
Sign me up too please. Just 1 question, is it just swirls? Some of the example pics look like pencil lines & 1 looks like embeds.

SoapTrey,
It is so nice of you to say I have creative talent but honestly I have none. If I get a good result in something it is trial and error and a bit of luck too.

I have lots of "for the family only" fails!
So pleased to see you give the challenge a go - practice makes perfect but there is no such thing as perfect when it comes to handmade soap which is a very nice thing about it.

3. Rusti - me three!
5. dibbles - Love it!
14. Ibct1969 - nervous for my first challenge especially against some SERIOUS talent!

3. Rusti - me three!
5. dibbles - Love it!
14. Ibct1969 - nervous for my first challenge especially against some SERIOUS talent!
15. SoapAddict - thanks!

Sign me up too please. Just 1 question, is it just swirls? Some of the example pics look like pencil lines & 1 looks like embeds.

First off I am so sorry for not responding sooner. I injured my arm pretty badly last night and found myself at the ER all morning and afternoon today. Yes, all of those things I showed you would qualify. That's what's going to make this challenge hopefully fun. You don't have to just swirl, you can do other things as well. As long as they fall into line with the rules and the main focus is the swirl or the thin layer or the mica lines you can do whatever you choose. If you have any questions ask on the thread or PM me and I would be happy to let you know whether or not your idea qualifies.

If I put glitter on top, those that count as part of the design?

You know I thought long about that while making the challenge. Yes it counts.

I made a soup for a challenge a while back that had pink and black as the accents and white as the main color. I use silver glitter on top. That would disqualify because that would be a fourth color.

You could use 2 colors and the third is the glitter, or use a glitter that matches one of your soaps colors. Just remember that if you use a light blue in your soap, do not use a dark blue glitter. Your top decorations, glitter, rose petals, whatever you use on top needs to match the colors as best as possible to the Soaps colors.
Also, no rainbow glitter, too many colors. If you are unsure you can send me a private message with the pictures attached. If you are unable to send pictures in a private message, I can't remember if you can or not, just let me know and you can shoot me an email instead.

Latest posts

Back