Candle Newbie (Help!)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keybler

Reaction score
So very new to candle making, I have a ton of mason jars and figured it would be a good glass container for 100% soy candles. I purchased GW444? Not sure why but it had good reviews on amazon. I'm going for burn time, not smell or color.

So the smaller mason jar seemed to work well, I poured one small and one large at the same time. The small (which I think is a pint) I did halfway, wick off center by mistake but it's looking like a full pint will be a 100 hour candle.

The issue I have is the large mason jar seems to be separating from the glass and the smaller one didn't. So the attached picture has some sharpie marks, bottom line 48 hours after pour, smaller mark maybe 72-96 hours after pour.

Is this thing still curing or something or did I pour to hot? Either way functionally should be fine, but the looks of the candle (For gift giving) seems to be off.

Thanks!

IMG_20170813_171716967.jpg

IMG_20170813_171727808.jpg

Last edited:
I've yet to begin making candles but have been trying to learn as I make other things. I remember someone asking about this before and someone asked them if their jars were clean before starting. Other than that, they mentioned some types of wax are bad about pulling away but I don't remember what else was mentioned.

I have made lots of jar candles. They are the only ones I make, as I save containers from jams, etc to make them. Started so I could use some old FOs, and I have never seen that. Been making candles for over a year.

The good news is that you can remelt them!

Put your jar in a poi that has boiling water to simmer, and they will melt, and not lose the FO.. Then turn all off and let cool without touching.

Its really common.

Some waxes are worse for it than others and it can be affected very much by the temperatures as the candle cured and also the temperatures as the candle heats up to burn and then cool.

Its purely cosmetic and doesnt affect either the burn or the quality of the candle.

Back