Norway says Hello!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh it sounds like ... Interesting flavor. Should be better taste than licorice ( to me, of course ).

Is there two kinds of pine syrup? I was thinking about this:
www.travelandleisure.com/slideshows/the-worlds-strangest-souvenirs

Click on slideshow. It's #1 photo.
Oh okay, it says Finland.

Is this the pine syrup you mentioned? Or is it the tar syrup?

https://njspice.net/2013/07/21/mugolio-pine-syrup/

It's the last one sort of,but made just from the tender light green buds picked in May :) The older and darker the buds are,the more pine sap (bitter) taste the syrup gets.

It's the last one sort of,but made just from the tender light green buds picked in May :) The older and darker the buds are,the more pine sap (bitter) taste the syrup gets.

Mmm... I wonder if I can google a pine syrup recipe and replicate it here. :p

ETA: my app broke or something, mod please delete it for me. Can't find the delete button on my phone.!

Ok..here is my recipe for pine syrup. The tree I harvest buds from is Norway spruce (Picea abies). (Sorry folks- For some strange reason I always confuse spruce and pine)

1. Pick young tender green buds. In Norway that will be in May/June
2. Rinse them in cold water to get rid of debris and small bugs.
3. Put the buds in a stainless steel pot,and pour on just enough water so the buds are covered. (When the buds start to flow-it's enough water)
4. Let simmer on medium heat for..30 - 45min or so.
5. Strain when hot ,and measure how much liquid you have.

So the math. The ratio of spruce liquid to white sugar is 3:2
If you have 15 dl spruce liquid you use 10 dl sugar.

Some recipes tell you to put all in a pot and simmer and stir to the liquid turns from greenish to reddish to brownish. Everything from 1.5 to 2.5 hours.
I on the other hand, like to reduce the liquid by 30-40 % by simmering on very low heat first (I just eyeball it) before I add the sugar to save me some time and troubles.
You have to stir frequently at low heat when sugar is added so it does not get burnt.
When the mix have a nice red/brown color, and have texture like tempered maple syrup in the pot - it's done. To prevent the sugar to crystallize due storage (in fridge) I always add some glucose at this point. I use about 1 (maybe 2 ) tablespoon of liquid glucose pr. 10 dl spruce liquid. Give it a good stir to blend in the glucose well. Then it's just to fill small sterilized glass jars.

Tip: You can make large batches - What spruce liquid you don't make syrup of straight away can be frozen. Just remember to de-freeze in fridge before you use it for syrup making next time :)

Hello Norway in the physical embodiment of Q-Lee!

I'm now officially in love with your countryside and lifestyle. And the sound of the food. And those mountains. And the lake... And if you have awesome chocolate and licorice, I'm going to start packing a suitcase. If you aren't letting Americans in through the borders, I'll visit Zany_in_CO, and see if I can find a Norwegian radio station and pretend to be in Norway. :lol:

Welcome to the forum!

:bunny:

Wow!!! Thank you for the very detailed recipe and info. Off I go to find pine or spruce now! :p
I strongly recommend you find spruce trees and pick the buds when they look like this for a good result :)

We in Norway are always welcoming visitors from oversea. I mean..a lot of you people are descended from Norway (or Scandinavia) in the first place :)
Haven't you access to the Norwegian show "Alt for Norge" through the web?
Strongly recommended show were Americans that have Norwegian ancestry compete to meet their Norwegian family.
Oh my.. what those people have to learn about Norwegian culture,language and food- That said..not all Norwegian cuisine is tasty
E.g lutefisk, gammalost og rakfisk :sick:

granskudd.jpg

If you aren't letting Americans in through the borders, I'll visit Zany_in_CO, and see if I can find a Norwegian radio station and pretend to be in Norway.
Better yet, pick me up on the way and we'll head further east to Lake Woebegone, Minnesota. I hear there's a large concentration of Norwegians there! LOL

We in Norway are always welcoming visitors from oversea. I mean..a lot of you people are descended from Norway (or Scandinavia) in the first place :)
Haven't you access to the Norwegian show "Alt for Norge" through the web?
Strongly recommended show were Americans that have Norwegian ancestry compete to meet their Norwegian family.
Oh my.. what those people have to learn about Norwegian culture,language and food- That said..not all Norwegian cuisine is tasty
E.g lutefisk, gammalost og rakfisk :sick::oops:

My grandfather was from Finland.. Not the same, but in the neighborhood!

I've been warned about lutefisk, that's lye soaked aged fish... I'm putting that in the gefilte fish category (that's the category of food that must have been invented through a dare, while really drunk)

Better yet, pick me up on the way and we'll head further east to Lake Woebegone, Minnesota. I hear there's a large concentration of Norwegians there! LOL

If we meet Garrison Keeler, it would be an extra bonus!

Back