~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Soap Making Recipes & Tutorials > Would like a recipe for a simple Castile-like soap that cures fast

Old 03-15-2017, 12:42 AM   #41
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 4581 Times on 3061 Posts
Likes Given: 3847

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeMoor View Post
Hi Alex,
I hear you! Except for the animal fats, you just described ME when I first started soaping! I wanted a 100% olive oil soap so much, but, once made, I couldn't stand the icky slime it produced when lathering up. Not only did I have to wait (a week?) to unmold, but 3 months before i could use it! UGH. I didn't have the advantage you have of getting excellent advice from all the lovely and generous people in this group.

But I digress. (1) I recently discovered a trick to get "No Slime Quick Cure" Castile that's hard enough to ship in two weeks (altho longer cure is better), that has the smooth texture of triple-milled French soaps. (2) Is something I developed for a soaping buddy by request during my early days of making transparent soaps. It's basically a rebatch with glycerin & water. Contact me off list if interested.

EMAIL: zanypole@yahoo.com

The OP hasn't been here in almost a year. His post is from June 2016. Not likely to get a response.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:11 AM   #42
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11222 Times on 5082 Posts
Likes Given: 5019

"... recently discovered a trick to get "No Slime Quick Cure" Castile ... Contact me off list if interested...."

If you don't want to share your technique with all and sundry, that's absolutely your choice, but please then have the courtesy to handle this matter privately.

Last edited by DeeAnna; 03-15-2017 at 01:28 AM.
People Like This 
Old 03-15-2017, 02:40 AM   #43
Zany_in_CO
Saponifier

Liked 806 Times on 527 Posts
Likes Given: 3188

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunt2011 View Post
The OP hasn't been here in almost a year. His post is from June 2016. Not likely to get a response.
OH NO! Too funny! Oops! Thanks for the head's up, Shunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeAnna View Post
If you don't want to share your technique with all and sundry, that's absolutely your choice, but please then have the courtesy to handle this matter privately.
Yes, of course! I don't know why I didn't think of that!

I totally apologize for just leaving it like that, DeeAnna, but I had to run. It gets crazy here sometimes. I hope you know by now that I'm happy to share whenever I feel I have something to contribute, but I have not shared this technique with anyone to date and I needed a "guinea person" to give it a go. You know how it is... something that works perfectly fine for one of us, doesn't always go smoothly when you share it with someone. Alex seemed to be of similar mindset and I felt he would be someone I could communicate well with and therefore a good candidate to give it a go. Also, I'm techno-challenged and I was hoping he would be willing to take pics or do a video of it.

Once again, I sincerely apologize, to everyone. My bad.

Last edited by shunt2011; 03-15-2017 at 10:46 AM.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:01 PM   #44
Kelley

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunt2011 View Post
Hard soap doesn't mean cured soap. Also, CO is not a substitute for palm. Lard and tallow are replacement/subs. The more CO you have the more quickly the soap dissolves. If you're just looking for hard soap then I suppose you're good. Not necessarily a quality soap. Also a very cleansing soap. There is much more going on in soap than hardness with a good cure. 4-6 weeks is a must for me. Regardless of how little liquid used. 50% or more OO and it gets a longer cure. It's all about quality for me and my customers. My soaps are hard when I unmold them but not cured.
I'm interested in learning about the coconut oil dissolving more quickly. I won't use palm but I have recently started using lard. I love how creamy they are with lard.
You are right. The longer the cure, the better. I can't wait the full 4 weeks to try a new soap. I have been known to use it myself after a week. I wouldn't sell it until 4 weeks though. I don't understand what happens during cure other than water loss but I do know that it is doing a disservice to customers to sell them too soon.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:51 PM   #45
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

"...I'm interested in learning about the coconut oil dissolving more quickly. ..."

What is it that you're wanting to know?

It's simply a fact that soap made with shorter fatty acids is generally more soluble in water. Fats that have a lot of these short fatty acids include coconut oil, palm kernel oil, and babassu oil. So a soap made from these fats will dissolve faster than a soap made with fats that have longer fatty acids. These fats include lard, tallow, and palm.

For a soap that is mild to the skin, long lasting, and has a nice lather, you want to strike a balance by using a blend of fats that create soap that dissolves easily and creates fluffy fast lather vs soap that lasts longer and creates a creamy lather.
People Like This 
Old 03-20-2017, 03:05 PM   #46
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4908 Times on 2858 Posts
Likes Given: 1259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
I'm interested in learning about the coconut oil dissolving more quickly. I won't use palm but I have recently started using lard. I love how creamy they are with lard.
You are right. The longer the cure, the better. I can't wait the full 4 weeks to try a new soap. I have been known to use it myself after a week. I wouldn't sell it until 4 weeks though. I don't understand what happens during cure other than water loss but I do know that it is doing a disservice to customers to sell them too soon.
Coconut oil soap is very soluble which is why it will lather in salt water. Off the topic, but you mention not using palm, which by the way, the US (if you are in the US) is one the the least users of palm. The tiny bit soapmakers use will not make a difference. What I was going to mention is, if you ever use stearic acid be careful most readily available stearic is palm stearic and it is really necessary for cream soap and shave soaps

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area
Kelley Likes This 
Old 03-20-2017, 03:11 PM   #47
Margo

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I don't make fake 'Castile' soap with other oils. The original Castile soap is made with 100% olive oil. Period. It takes almost a year to cure CP castile soap. There are no shortcuts. The end!
Here are photos of my HP Castile soaps made with 100% Olive Oil
Attached Thumbnails
SOAPOliveOilBalsamPeru.jpg   SoapOliveOilNewLaurelBLimeGeran.jpg  

Old 03-20-2017, 04:11 PM   #48
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

"...The original Castile soap is made with..."

The "original Castile soap" would have also been made with vegetable-ash lye and a boiled soapmaking method. And only the Castile region of Spain.

"...Here are photos of my HP Castile soaps..."

No, those are photos of your 100% olive oil soap.

Since you're going to insist on strict, historically correct accuracy from the rest of us, then have the honor to apply your own rules to yourself as well. Your soap, by your rules, does not qualify to be "Castile soap" any more than anyone else's soap does.

That said, the name "castile" has been long used to describe a high quality soap typically made with vegetable fats (and even some made with tallow and veg fats.) This has been the widely-used commercial and colloquial meaning of "castile" in the US, Europe, and the UK for the past century or more. This meaning is furthermore supported by case law, at least here in the US.* It's perfectly valid for soapers to use "castile" as the name for a 100% olive oil soap and for anyone, soaper or otherwise, to use it as the name for a 100% veg oil soap.

* James S. Kirk & Co. v. Federal Trade Commission, 59 F.2d 179 (7th Cir. 1932), http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/...9/179/1471747/

Last edited by DeeAnna; 03-20-2017 at 05:02 PM. Reason: fixed URL. Added tallow
People Like This 
Old 03-20-2017, 04:44 PM   #49
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 4581 Times on 3061 Posts
Likes Given: 3847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margo View Post
I don't make fake 'Castile' soap with other oils. The original Castile soap is made with 100% olive oil. Period. It takes almost a year to cure CP castile soap. There are no shortcuts. The end!
Here are photos of my HP Castile soaps made with 100% Olive Oil
Goes the same with what you claimed recently in a post as you making Aleppo soap.
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showt...42556&page=545

We can'nt make true Aleppo soap. Though you claimed to. Nobody jumped in and attacked you on your statement. Please think before posting. Your comments more times than not are not very nice and are rather arrogant.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:41 PM   #50
Zany_in_CO
Saponifier

Liked 806 Times on 527 Posts
Likes Given: 3188

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeAnna View Post
The "original Castile soap" would have also been made with vegetable-ash lye and a boiled soapmaking method. And only the Castile region of Spain. ... No, those are photos of your 100% olive oil soap. ...

That said, the name "castile" has been long used to describe a high quality soap typically made with vegetable fats (and even some made with tallow and veg fats.) This has been the widely-used commercial and colloquial meaning of "castile" in the US, Europe, and the UK for the past century or more. This meaning is furthermore supported by case law, at least here in the US.* It's perfectly valid for soapers to use "castile" as the name for a 100% olive oil soap and for anyone, soaper or otherwise, to use it as the name for a 100% veg oil soap.

* James S. Kirk & Co. v. Federal Trade Commission, 59 F.2d 179 (7th Cir. 1932), http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/...9/179/1471747/
DITTO what DeeAnna said.

Thank you for posting that. I've long wanted to mention that, technically, "castile" means a soap made with all vegetable oils, i.e., containing no tallow. But, in Margo's defense, she meant no harm and was only passionately parroting what she learned elsewhere. KWIM? I hope we can agree, that many soapers become "victims" of soaping forums and groups where "castile" means 100% olive oil soaps. It's just one of those pieces of mis-information that gets passed down the line -- on and on and on -- until it becomes "cast-in-stone" -- or, as I call it, "soapstone"! Haha. ... Hence, the necessity of inventing the soap-making-world jargon, "bastile" (bastard + castile), to mean olive oil + other vegie oils.

BTW, maybe it's just me, but that link didn't work for me. With the name James S. Kirk & CO, I'm guessing that refers to "Kirk's Castile" soap -- which, if I remember correctly, is all coconut oil. ??? Please correct me if that's wrong. Obviously, he won his case.