Troubleshooting warping bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dillsandwitch

Reaction score
Howdy all,

I was in my soap room (back room of the house) the other day and I noticed that some of my bars that are curing have warped.

Just wondering if anyone can help me figure out whats the cause of it.

We have had some really up and down weather lately so I'm wondering if it could be that or something else. I mean like one day it will be 40 and the next it will be 22.

I also have a dehumidifier running in the room. Its not an overly large one but it does suck out about 500ml of water every few days or so.

Soap is stored in plastic baskets on metal shelves. I do have the window and door closed but have the fan running. They are not in direct sunlight but the blinds are open.

Most of the bars are 55% tallow, 25% RB, 15% CO, 5% castor but there are some in there that are 100% OO and some 75% lard, 15% CO, 5% castor.

TIA
Dill

The only soap I have had warp are tallow ones that I had to pack when they were fairly young and move to Texas. I am not sure whether it was the tallow or the closed boxes, but if I had to guess, I would say a combination of both. I always use full water.

If I were you, I would probably open the door and turn off the dehumidifier. Let the soap dry out at its own pace. It is going into a humid bathroom, after all.

I too generally use full water at don't get warping at all. I'm thinking something else is causing the problem. Maybe the dehumidifier is causing it to dry out too quickly? I just put them on an open shelf and let them be for at least 4 weeks usually longer.

I use 33% lye concentration. Im inkling more towards the odd weather as ive had this same setup for over a year and its only the recent batches that have warped. Ill open the window and turn off the dehumidifier and see if it helps any.

Back