Ocean soap with seaweed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welsh black

Reaction score
I live near the sea so have collected some seaweed, dulce and bladder wrack to make some soap. I added 2 teaspoons of dulce, and one of bladder wrack into some avocado oil before adding to my base oils 1000 grams. The bladder wrack was a bit scratchy in the oil so I strained it before adding lye to get out some of the large bits, next time I will blend the dried seaweed a bit more, the dulce is fine as it's a much softer seaweed to start with. The colour to the oil before lye added was a lovely deep avocado colour but as you can see lightened considerable to a pistachio colour! Ni think next time I will add 3 times as much powder.

The fragrence I used is one which was suggested here.
Lavender EO 44%
Rosemary EO 22%
Spearmint. 5.9%
Bergamot b22%
Eucalyptus 5.9%

I put it in the batter but I don't care for the smell, the eucalyptus overpowered the rest of the Eo, but of course, too late I had put it in the batter.

I had some lemongrass melt and pour curles on hand so put them in the mould , hoping that the smell would dilute the eucalyptus. Here are the photos. Can you see the white lines around the melt and pour curles? What are these? They are not unattractive but it must have something to do with heat, as they are not on the ends.

image.jpg

I dunno what the white bits are, but those soaps are really attractive! I love that you used MP curls in your CP soap. What a great idea!!!

Haven't a clue what the white marks are. I love the way they turned out. Maybe the eucalyptus fades with curing. Only time will tell.

soap with fresh seaweed, wow, lucky you to live by the sea! adding seaweed to my additives 'must do list'. thanks for the inspirations.

How did you prepare the seaweed? I have always thought about putting ulva in as it is a lovely shade of green, but as it is like thin sheets I thought I would have to try and purée it or something.

Technically all we are allowed to harvest is dead washed up sewaweed in the uk, we have to get a license to sample when I take things for work, but I think a blind eye is turned as long as you aren't decimating the coastline.

Even luckier for me is that my neighbours business is collecting seaweed so he has a licence , I asked him for some and he brought some home in his truck. He must think I'm a bit loopy!! Most of his "catch" is sent to a processing plant nearby and turned into a thick batter for eating. He also collects cockles, a small shell fish, but I'm not going to be making soap out of those!!

You will have to tells us in a few weeks if it still smells and looks nice. Seaweed when decomposing smells nasty and turns a very ugly color. Hope it does not do that to your soap. It does look great.

Latest posts

Back