Wow, ew, lesson learned

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittish

Enthusiastic Newbie
Reaction score
Apparently I am a cookie snob.

A couple of days ago, in an effort to be lazy, I bought a tub of Nestle Tollhouse chocolate chip cookie dough. I mean, it's pretty much the gold standard of chocolate chip cookie recipes, right? You'd think the premade dough would be at least okay, right? :think: ....No. I baked a pan of cookies with that dough and they were disgusting. Easily the very worst cookies I have ever encountered.
:Kitten Love: Seriously, how does a company screw up their own cookies to the extent where they are gross and inedible? They were so oily, they squished when you bit into them. I have no doubt they'd freakin' DRIP oil if you took one and squeezed it. Blargh.

Well look at the plus side and all the calories you saved :)

Probably. My own cookies are likely to have about half the calories of store bought stuff, since I don't see just how much sugar I can cram into them. And, since the store bought was a bust, I had to make a batch of cookies after all. DH insists on having them in his lunch every day.

I rarely make cookies any more, but I used to mix up double batches, then freeze the dough. You can either freeze it in a log, or pre-portion out the cookies and freeze the balls in a Ziploc bag. Then you only use what you need. It is much faster than trying to mix up fresh each time, and so much better than the tubs of <lists of chemical names>.

Last edited:
Is it wrong that when you said "they were so oily" that my brain immediately went into "could we SOAP that oil?" mode? Ha! I think I may be losing my sanity. Let's all make cookie oil soap! :headbanging:

On a side note....I made gluten-free chocolate chip cookies the other day. Hubby liked them, but I think I might as well have been eating cardboard. Crumbly cardboard. So not the satisfying chewy-ness that I was looking for.

I rarely make cookies any more, but I used to mix up double batches, then freeze the dough. You can either freeze it in a log, or pre-portion out the cookies and freeze the balls in a Ziploc bag. Then you only use what you need. It is much faster than trying to mix up fresh each time, and so much better than the tubs of <lists of chemical names>.

I freeze dough, too, but I'd been out, which is why I had been trying to be lazy. It wasn't very effective...

I pack dough to freeze into a container, and put plastic over the top of the dough to keep it from getting freezer burn.

Hahaha, jewels. Cookie oil. It sounds like it should totally be a thing.

Are you telling me you don't like Pheobe's family recipe!?!

giphy.webp

The baker in me wanted to know all the factors in which could of gone wrong with these cookies, what was the temp, did you let the oven pre heat all the way, was the cookie dough room temp or fresh out of the fridge... So many questions. On the other hand now that you have said cookies I have to think of what cookies to make this year and get a head start XD I want to try buttermilk jumbles again this year.

Oily, gooey soap ... uh, I mean cookies??? Yep, what Miss Luna said. And cookie oil???? Can't find it's sap value in Soapcalc, so what in duh h*ck is it?

Y'all have given me the urge to make cookies today. I haven't had a good chocolate chip cookie in months. Or even a bad choc chip cookie, for that matter. But I'll pass on making bad ones.

Tempters!

One reason it probably tasted terrible compared to making them from scratch is I think in order to make the batter sellable like that they would have to add all kinds of preservatives, and/or additives for the longevity of the batter, where as you don't have those in there when making from scratch.

I loved the Phoebe reference. LOVED IT.
Everytime I think of or bake chocolate chip cookies, I think of that episode, and especially how she is looking at the ground, yelling at her grandma about why "this is why you went to hell" or something like that. LOL Friends - it's my alltime FAVORITE sitcom and I can't even count anymore how many times I've seen the whole series, which yes, I have on DVD. :)

One reason it probably tasted terrible compared to making them from scratch is I think in order to make the batter sellable like that they would have to add all kinds of preservatives, and/or additives for the longevity of the batter, where as you don't have those in there when making from scratch.

I loved the Phoebe reference. LOVED IT.
Everytime I think of or bake chocolate chip cookies, I think of that episode, and especially how she is looking at the ground, yelling at her grandma about why "this is why you went to hell" or something like that. LOL Friends - it's my alltime FAVORITE sitcom and I can't even count anymore how many times I've seen the whole series, which yes, I have on DVD. :)

Oh yeah, it's one of those shows that I've watch a bazillion times at least. It's my go-to "background noise" show when I'm cleaning or cooking, because I don't need to look at the TV to know exactly what's going on and laugh along with it. :mrgreen:

Oh yeah, it's one of those shows that I've watch a bazillion times at least. It's my go-to "background noise" show when I'm cleaning or cooking, because I don't need to look at the TV to know exactly what's going on and laugh along with it. :mrgreen:

At my last job I worked at a few years ago, one of the IT guys was as big of a Friends fan as I was, and we would play Friends trivia, and do Friends quotes etc.,
I don't know how it started but one time we went 2 full days talking about work related business, however, we did it in nothing but friends quotes for the solid 2 days. It was amazing and hilarious because we knew exactly what needed done, but people around us just thought we were nuts. LOL

Latest posts

Back