HO sunflower revisited

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=65114

I have only been able to find mid-oleic sunflower oil at any grocery stores in our area and none at Walmart. If this is all you could find would you sub for olive oil or just continue on with OO?

You might also look at rice bran oil. I've seen that in supermarkets, plus Riceland Foods in the U.S. sells it in bulk. I've seen them offer free shipping deals, but I don't know if that would be applicable in Canada.

I've been using RBO along with OO in my soaps and getting good results.

If you can't find or don't want to use RBO and can't find HO sunflower, I think I would continue with mostly OO, but incorporate some of the mid-oleic sunflower.

Do you use rosemary oleoresin extract (ROE) in your oils? It can help extend the shelf life of your oils if you add some to the jug when you open it.

Mid oleic sunflower is going to be something more like rice bran oil and will have a large % of linoleic acid. I know people use RBO and like it in their soap, so I'm sure mid oleic sunflower would be fine.

That said, I'm personally am in Brewer George's camp -- I'd see if HO safflower is available instead, so I could keep the linoleic acid content of my soap fairly low.

But this is purely a personal preference rather than an absolute thing.

BG, the reason is I'm in Canada and our Walmart doesn't have either sun or saff (at least where I am) Other grocery stores have mid-oleic or saff in litre bottles only which would end up more expensive than OO.

cmzaha, by the time I pay the exchange for U.S. dollars and shipping to boot it's more expensive than OO.

Kittish, yes I use ROE

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=65114

I have only been able to find mid-oleic sunflower oil at any grocery stores in our area and none at Walmart. If this is all you could find would you sub for olive oil or just continue on with OO?

If I recall correctly, the Kroger brand sunflower oil is high oleic. Is there a Kroger where you live?

ooppss never mind, I just realized you are in Canada.

Back