Snacking on Sheepshead

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
And this is why I miss my boat... Hubby went fishing in San Quintin and I am snacking on fresh caught Sheepshead. Yum, taste just like lobster, which is part of their diet. Tonight it is going on the grill with butter and lemon. Double yum
:p Of course it is much more cost effective to go to Mexico fishing than to maintain a boat in the harbor. Miss my boat terribly and the fresh fish almost every weekend but not the bills that go went with it. An interesting fact of Sheepshead is the fact they are female then morph into males

Last edited:
And that the sex change begins within hours once the male of the harem is removed:)
Gawd I haven't had sheepshead in YEARS, I envy you.

Some lucky man caught a 50lb wahoo of the coast of Orange County, look out I think the El Niño has started.

Hmmmm..... You're obviously not talking about our Mississippi River sheepshead (aka freshwater drum)! :) They can be tasty too if caught in the right time of year and prepared properly, but unfortunately they do ~not~ taste anything like lobster, even at their best. Your sheepshead sound seriously yummy to eat.....

And that the sex change begins within hours once the male of the harem is removed:)
Gawd I haven't had sheepshead in YEARS, I envy you.

Some lucky man caught a 50lb wahoo of the coast of Orange County, look out I think the El Niño has started.

I would share but I only have 3 and it won't take long to eat them up. :-D I am thinking the same thing about the El Niño but I have not been following the ocean temps like I used to. I was really hoping for some yellowfin to smoke but they split last week according to the Captain. I heard about the wahoo, that is amazing for our waters. If a full El Niño I am going to be really bummed I cannot get out there to fish. Love finding a huge patty and fishing it!
Nope DeeAnna this is good California Sheepshead

Lol no, the California sheephead is a type of wrasse and tasty tasty tasty
california-bottomfish_01.jpg

What a gorgeous Sheepshead. Except for Sunfish I think Sheepshead are one of the neatest looking fish. LOL, tried for years to pet a sunfish never did except for one I caught. That was fun... was released un-harmed. Which Island am I looking at in the pic? We used to catch them right out of O'side harbor but not as big.
Smoked Bonita is on the menu for tomorrow. Bonita is happily brining now. So bummed this was a "boys" fishing trip...

Oh that was just a random pic I found on the web. Wait wait by sunfish you mean a mola mola? How on earth did you catch one? They eat sea jellies, I didn't think they could be caught with hook and line?

I'm SO jealous! There's nothing like the taste of freshly caught seafood no matter where you are. A few years ago a friend of ours caught fresh tuna off the coast of Mexico and it was to die for. My favorite marinade is 1/3 olive oil, 1/3 fresh lime juice and 1/3 soy sauce. Add any spices you prefer like (fresh garlic or ginger) and throw it on the hot grill. Add some grilled veggies and I'm a really happy diner!

Last edited:
Oh that was just a random pic I found on the web. Wait wait by sunfish you mean a mola mola? How on earth did you catch one? They eat sea jellies, I didn't think they could be caught with hook and line?
Snagged the silly thing. I can tell you it was quite upset! But I finally got to pet one. Love seeing them just floating on the surface

Wow, that's a big sucker! You are lucky. I've never had it before but down here on the Gulf of Mexico they are said to not be as tasty. I love fish of all kinds though so I still want to try it whenever I can. I want to go fishing so badly.

Oh man, you guys are killing me talking about all this fish and fishing! It's been far too long. This was a few years ago. That lobster was a beast, and so delicious!
PA210002.jpg
[/URL]
We managed to get a couple of those biggies. Yup, they are good as long as they are cooked with butter to sweeten them up. Which Island am I looking at. Without seeing more it is hard to tell and I have not been out for a few years :-(

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back