Interesting article about the demise of soap bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citygirl

Reaction score
Hello my fellow soapy friends. I came across this interesting article in a Canadian newspaper about how sales of commercial bar soap are declining in favour of liquid body soap sold in bottles. This reminded me of a co worker who told me that her husband is very "phobic" about bar soaps and can't use them because he doesn't like the idea of bar soap being used communally by other people.

One the other side of the coin the article goes on to state that artisan soap sales are going up :razz:. I prefer artisan (my own home made bar soap) and would never go back to commercially bar soap. I think people in general want quality soap.

here's the article:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...-about-bar-soaps-slow-demise/article20206125/

Interesting article. I have noticed a lot of shower gels as I travel around visiting people so the numbers don't surprise me. I too like the term "artisan" soap, it is a great descriptor if you ask me. I had been toying with "craft" soap (like craft beer) but that sounds too much like a hobby or someone's introversion.

I switched from bar soaps to liquid for the longest time. I switched back to bars to save money (I burn through liquid soap pretty quick). I now hate both from the store. Quality bar soap obliterates anything at the supermarket IMO. Fun article, thanks for the link.

For a while we mostly used liquid soap. Then we started using bar soap we bought from craft shows. And now that we've started making our own awesome soap bars I have no desire to go back to store bought liquid soap. My stepson still uses Axe, but he's a teen and I think that's required by some sort of teen boy code.

I always hated liquid body detergent (I'm refusing to call that stuff soap....). I much prefer bar soap, especially my own (but I'm not biased. hehe)

I have converted almost my entire family, cousins, nephew, niece etc over to my awesome bar soap. My 17 year old nephew calls me asking if I have anymore of that Dragon soap. So, I keep him stocked and am pleased. My husband is one of my biggest advocates....has even gotten a lot of his co-workers on it.

Latest posts

Back