Scents you are looking for

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honeysuckle would be another that I think would be difficult to create synthetically. It's another delicate, sweet floral. When I was young and found them, I'd pull the stamen (I think that's the proper term) out of the flower and suck the nectar off it. Not a really nice thing to do to a flower but they tasted lovely.

I grew up in the NE and we did that with clover.

There's one scent that I would love to be able to find bottled and for sale- the wonderful smell of a newborn baby. Best scent in the world. Back around 2004 or 2005 or so, I wrote to Demeter to ask if they had ever tried to duplicate such a scent, and I actually got a response back, believe it or not. They said that that was the one scent they've tried and tried to duplicate, but just hadn't been successful yet. I don't know if they've been successful since then, but it sure would be awesome if they have.

In the meantime, I stumbled upon a blend a handful of years ago that kinda sorta comes close to the smell of a newborn baby- or at least close enough to satisfy my nose until something closer comes along. ;) To explain, one of the fun things I like to do with FOs that I think might smell great together is make a layered soap with them, putting each FO into its own layer. Anyway, one day I made a layered 'Milk & Honey' soap in this way using 2 scents -Daystar's Milk Sugar Kisses and TheScentWorks Tupelo Honey- and I was blown away by how close it came to the smell of a newborn baby- at least to the smell of my son anyway when he was a newborn baby. Thankfully, I was able to stock up on TheScentWork's Tupelo Honey before they went kaput and I still have about a pound of it left so I can keep making my blend for awhile.

SheLion said:
When I was young and found them, I'd pull the stamen (I think that's the proper term) out of the flower and suck the nectar off it.

We used to do that, too. :) Also- where I grew up in Massachusetts we had sassafras growing wild in the woods right behind our house, and we used to dig them up and gnaw on the roots.

IrishLass :)

I'm still looking for the Fig scent from A Garden Eastward and their White Tea and Ginger. I've ordered many Fig scents but nothing compares, same for the WT&G. I'm also still looking for a good dupe for L'Occitane Milk and Linden soap scents, also a good malty Black Tea FO and a Ginger FO.

The TCS Honeysuckle was the best I found. It's clean and not sweet at all. I sent it to Nurture Soap. I hope Carrie likes it enough to dupe it.

Right now, I want dupes for all the Jo Malone FOs except the one readily available (Black cedarwood and Juniper). I disliked the original BCJ as much as the dupes. I'm starting to collect the dupes and hoping I get a few that smell as fresh and clean as the originals.

Right now, I want dupes for all the Jo Malone FOs except the one readily available (Black cedarwood and Juniper). I disliked the original BCJ as much as the dupes. I'm starting to collect the dupes and hoping I get a few that smell as fresh and clean as the originals.

I have never smelled the actual fragrance from Jo Malone, but I did use Sweet Cakes' Nectarine Blossom & Honey FO. It was awhile ago, and in M&P, but I think I liked it.

I have never smelled the actual fragrance from Jo Malone, but I did use Sweet Cakes' Nectarine Blossom & Honey FO. It was awhile ago, and in M&P, but I think I liked it.

I made a mistake of walking into Nordstrom around Christmas and they had a long display of Jo Malone's colognes. I ended up liking most of them. They are fresh, clean and mostly unisex. I thought they would be perfect in soap if they work for cp. The majority are not available from FO suppliers.

I tried to order from AFI fragrances but they only sell to businesses. I found a few at Flaming Candle. They also had a Tea and a Fig so of course I had to order. For some reason I had a block about this company but I'm impressed with what I got from them. All of them smell well blended but the Tea is not a straight black tea.

I have everything ready to go into testers today including the Linden/Elderflower FOs and all of the new Nurture FOs I got. Many of the FOs are very promising, with good complexity but still fresh and subtle. Keeping my fingers crossed. I even tried blending some of the Lindens in the hope of getting something better. I haven't made testers in a long time so I'm excited.

I made a mistake of walking into Nordstrom around Christmas and they had a long display of Jo Malone's colognes. I ended up liking most of them. They are fresh, clean and mostly unisex. I thought they would be perfect in soap if they work for cp. The majority are not available from FO suppliers.

Based on the names, I expected to really like Jo Malone scents but the last time I sniffed them, at Nordstrom incidentally, I was a bit disappointed.

I have everything ready to go into testers today including the Linden/Elderflower FOs and all of the new Nurture FOs I got. Many of the FOs are very promising, with good complexity but still fresh and subtle. Keeping my fingers crossed. I even tried blending some of the Lindens in the hope of getting something better. I haven't made testers in a long time so I'm excited.

This is a bit of a tangent (apologies to the OP) and a response by PM is fine but I'm interested in knowing how you make your testers. Your scent observations are always thorough and helpful so I'd like to know what you do.

This is a bit of a tangent (apologies to the OP) and a response by PM is fine but I'm interested in knowing how you make your testers. Your scent observations are always thorough and helpful so I'd like to know what you do.

I just finished a batch today. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and describe the process. It's really a regular soaping session. I just pour a lot of 30 to 40g testers. I aliquot the FOs a day or 2 before into small pp tubes and add a little clay if I think they need it. I can pour 40 to 50 easily without the batter giving me a problem.

I finally figured out what to do with my 1oz bottles. I'm pouring 1 lb batches and cutting them into 3 soaps. Family and friends pick what they want and the extras go to the shelters. The soaps are big enough to cut in half.

I didn't smell the Jo Malones out of the bottle. I don't know if your Nordstrom had the special display. It was the first time I've seen it (or noticed it?). They had them spotted in specialty containers. It's like when you spot FOs on paper and let it air for a day or 2. I was with a friend and both of us were impressed. If any of the dupes survive, I'll post.

I would love to find a dupe of Basin's Wild Jasmine perfume ( https://basin.com/wild-jasmine-solid-perfume/ ). I've been ordering every promising description of jasmine I can find but they all seem to lack that one note that this one has. It's musky and green underneath the sweet jasmine smell. Mad Oil's Wild Hyacinth has the note I'm talking about, but smells of hyacinth of course and not jasmine.

I would wrestle the soap batter as much as it took to make a soap that smelled like this!

I just finished a batch today. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and describe the process. It's really a regular soaping session. I just pour a lot of 30 to 40g testers. I aliquot the FOs a day or 2 before into small pp tubes and add a little clay if I think they need it. I can pour 40 to 50 easily without the batter giving me a problem.

I finally figured out what to do with my 1oz bottles. I'm pouring 1 lb batches and cutting them into 3 soaps. Family and friends pick what they want and the extras go to the shelters. The soaps are big enough to cut in half.

I didn't smell the Jo Malones out of the bottle. I don't know if your Nordstrom had the special display. It was the first time I've seen it (or noticed it?). They had them spotted in specialty containers. It's like when you spot FOs on paper and let it air for a day or 2. I was with a friend and both of us were impressed. If any of the dupes survive, I'll post.

Thanks!

I smelled the Jo Malones out of the bottle. This was also awhile ago (1+ yrs, maybe 2) so I'm sure there's been changes to the lineup since then. As an aside, I just had a look at Basenotes and saw that at some point, Jo Malone put out an oudh and bergamot scent. That got my attention. I just recently got a sample of Nurture's Oudh Heart (I believe it's a Lush dupe) and I am in love. And I love bergamot so that sounds like a match made for my nose!

:shock: What?? A 4 oz bottle of Herbal Essence costs $143???

(might have something to do with the fact I thought I should pick up a few others to justify the shipping cost, right?)

Seriously though, thanks for the link!!

Wait, what? How are you getting that? It says 12.00 for a 4 oz bottle.

Wait, what? How are you getting that? It says 12.00 for a 4 oz bottle.

I believe what lenaree was inferring was that the order totaled $143 after throwing other FOs in the cart to justify shipping. Sweet Cakes seems to always run around $20 S&H no matter how much I order. No one wants to pay a shipping fee that is almost twice the cost of item(s) being shipped. So you add other FOs that intrigue you...and end up with a $143 order because you needed one thing.

It's similar to walking into the grocery store for one item and leaving with a cart load.

Last edited:
Back