Potica

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the recipe! I had never baked bread until I saw a no-knead video on this forum, now twenty-five loaves later....

Maybe I will work up to this too. Your recipe reminds me of both Mardi Gras King Cake, as well as babka. I wonder if they all go back to some common ancestor.

Scooter

Scooter said:
Thanks for the recipe! I had never baked bread until I saw a no-knead video on this forum, now twenty-five loaves later....

Maybe I will work up to this too. Your recipe reminds me of both Mardi Gras King Cake, as well as babka. I wonder if they all go back to some common ancestor.

Scooter

I've never had King Cake or babka before, but after doing a search, they all seem to be very close cousins of each other, if not outright siblings. The dough ingredients are pretty much the same in all three, and they are all rolled and filled, but it seems the place where they part ways is in how are thin each are rolled, what kind of filling is used, and how each are shaped. Very interesting!

I'm also looking into making a gluten-free version of my potica for my SIL who gets stomach pains every time she eats anything with gluten in it. I found this one on the internet. It looks quite promising: http://slovenianroots.blogspot.com/2015/12/new-for-2015-gluten-free-potica-with.html

Omneya said:
OMG I want some! That looks so yummy

I want some, too! I've been so busy making them for others that I haven't yet made one for myself this year. :lol:

IrishLass :)

Oh, Irish Lass, you are going to send me down another rabbit hole if I'm not careful. You seem like you could be a very bad influence....but if I'm not hungry I shouldn't care so much, right? lol

Thankyou for the recipe. The dough recipe is very close to one I used to make called Planchinta, which came from an Aunt of my hubby but somehow I seemed to have lost the recipe, and she is gone. It was made with either poppy seed or walnut filling made into logs. Problem is I cannot afford to make it for weight reasons, in other words I have gained to many extra pounds since retirement. I remember one time I made 4 rolls, during my still skinny days, by the time my hubby got home from work there was 1 left. LOL, he thought I had given them away....nope ate them :) these were about 12"x 4"

Thankyou for the recipe. The dough recipe is very close to one I used to make called Planchinta, which came from an Aunt of my hubby but somehow I seemed to have lost the recipe, and she is gone. It was made with either poppy seed or walnut filling made into logs. Problem is I cannot afford to make it for weight reasons, in other words I have gained to many extra pounds since retirement. I remember one time I made 4 rolls, during my still skinny days, by the time my hubby got home from work there was 1 left. LOL, he thought I had given them away....nope ate them :) these were about 12"x 4"

I had never ever heard of Planchinta before, so I just had to have myself a Google. Most of the ones I saw were stuffed round bread (much like stuffed quesedillas or pitas or pancakes), but then I saw one that seemed to fit your description. Is this what you used to make?: http://www.grabandgorecipes.com/vertuta-moldovian-savory-strudel-placinte-placinta/

I remember one time I made 4 rolls, during my still skinny days, by the time my hubby got home from work there was 1 left. LOL, he thought I had given them away....nope ate them :) these were about 12"x 4"

:lol:

OMG, I'm with Dee, I swear I can smell it! What is it about yeasted dough that makes it smell so irresistible? And not only do they smell good, they're beautiful to look at. If I weren't in "dog mode", and already so way behind on my cookie baking, I'd give this a try. I'm anxious to hear how it comes out using the ABin 5 recipe for brioche. And I agree with you about measuring your ingredients by weight...it makes all the difference. Especially with flour. I originally made the brioche dough by weight, and it was perfect. Then I made it again, with the scoop and level method, and the results were nowhere near as tender, and I know it's because there was too much flour. Weighing is best!

Well, I must say that the no-knead method works great with this dough!

I just got done baking up the last of the triple batch of dough that I made earlier in the week.

Pictured below is what I made with it today. On the left is an 8" potica; the two in the middle are 5" chocolate babkas with a crumb topping; and the one on the right is an 8" chocolate babka with crumb topping (thank you Scooter for pointing me to babka!). The babkas are fresh from the oven and still too hot to remove from their pans.

IMG_4459NoKneadPoticaBabka640.JPG

My house smells chocolatey good!

Last edited:
the two in the middle are 5" chocolate babkas with a crumb topping; and the one on the right is an 8" chocolate babka with crumb topping (thank you Scooter for pointing me to babka!). The babkas are fresh from the oven and still too hot to remove from their pans.

O.M.G. Those look great. If I ever learned to do that I would never leave my house. I would just be baking and eating all day long. lol.

Scooter

Oh my goodness- I just read Susie's Pretzel Crack thread and had a brainstorm: to make a chocolate babka, but instead of sprinkling the loaf with the streusel crumb topping before baking, I'm going to brush the top of the loaf with the lye wash that I use when making laugenbretzels and laugencroissants, then sprinkle with kosher salt before baking!!! Thankfully, I have a 100% stainless steel bread pan that I can do this with. Oh yeahhhhhhh! Laugenbabka here we come!!!!

Well, I must say that the no-knead method works great with this dough!

I just got done baking up the last of the triple batch of dough that I made earlier in the week.

Pictured below is what I made with it today. On the left is an 8" potica; the two in the middle are 5" chocolate babkas with a crumb topping; and the one on the right is an 8" chocolate babka with crumb topping (thank you Scooter for pointing me to babka!). The babkas are fresh from the oven and still too hot to remove from their pans.

IMG_4459NoKneadPoticaBabka640.JPG

My house smells chocolatey good!

Wow, those look incredible!!! And yes, there's nothing like the smell of yeasted dough baking to make your house smell amazing. I'm glad to hear the dough worked well for you too. I was really disappointed when I found the recipe for the chocolate brioche, only to find that all the recipes for brioche dough said it was nearly impossible without a stand mixer, which I don't have. So I was a little leery when I saw the AB in 5 brioche recipe, thinking well how good could it be, this brioche stuff sounds kind of fancy and difficult, and this recipe just sounds too easy. I was happy to discover that it's not only easy, but delish, so tender and light.

I have a great babka recipe, but I'm anxious to try one with the brioche dough. I've saved a few versions that sound interesting, so if you're still in baking mode, you may want to take a look for some inspiration. There's just so many ways to use this dough!

http://milk-and.blogspot.com/2015/10/chocolate-hazelnut-cinnamon-babka.html

http://baked-theblog.com/hazelnut-vanilla-bean-babka/

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-sti...-the-kitchn-218012?crlt.pid=camp.uBEeva6LI4gu

And I'd like to try some cinnamon rolls with this filling...pistachio, dark chocolate and orange zest. OMG, it makes my mouth water just to type it! LOL

http://joythebaker.com/2013/12/bonkers-awesome-pistachio-orange-and-dark-chocolate-cinnamon-rolls/

Please have a big slice of each of your creations for me. :grin:

That sounds incredible!

Oh my goodness- I just read Susie's Pretzel Crack thread and had a brainstorm: to make a chocolate babka, but instead of sprinkling the loaf with the streusel crumb topping before baking, I'm going to brush the top of the loaf with the lye wash that I use when making laugenbretzels and laugencroissants, then sprinkle with kosher salt before baking!!! Thankfully, I have a 100% stainless steel bread pan that I can do this with. Oh yeahhhhhhh! Laugenbabka here we come!!!!

Last edited:
You are very naughty, Navigator! My mouth is watering and I'm now chomping at the bit to try out the chocolate/pistachio/orange filling (what an awesome sounding combo!) Don't even get me started on the cream-filled doughnuts. Gah!!!!

You are very naughty, Navigator! My mouth is watering and I'm now chomping at the bit to try out the chocolate/pistachio/orange filling (what an awesome sounding combo!) Don't even get me started on the cream-filled doughnuts. Gah!!!!

Oh always happy to be an enabler! LOL That easy brioche dough makes so many naughty things possible, doesn't it? :D

Latest posts

Back