Mixing Essential and Fragrance Oils Together?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BayBoy

Reaction score
Hi,

So I'm still working on a blend of essential oils for an aftershave similar to bay rum. I've come up with a recipe that I really like, but it needs vanilla to round it out.

Is it considered strange to mix fragrance oil with an EO blend? Do they even blend? I ask because vanilla absolute and the like is so expensive.

As Obsidian said, no- it's not strange at all, and yes- they blend fine. My favorite homemade bay rum formula is a mixture of bay racemosa EO and Barbershop 1920's FO. I make other FO/EO blends, too, such as vanilla-mint for example (vanilla FO with spearmint EO).

IrishLass :)

Most of my fragrance blends are a mix of EO and FO. I like the idea of EO, but they aren't as well-rounded as FOs. I'm not a perfumer and I find it difficult to formulate a nice, well-rounded EO blend.

There's also price. In my area, Balsam is a big seller, but it's expensive and doesn't stick in CP soap. So I blend it with a cheaper FO and am able to put balsam EO on my labels.

For EO blends, I sub Sandlewood EO, Rose otto, Vanilla absolute with their FO counterparts because they are expensive. For me, this is where top quality FOs from reputable suppliers comes into play. I've been happy with results. One thing I've noticed, tho. It often takes time for blends to mellow... like fine wine... allowed to age they peak down the road a few months... I recently soaped a blend that was a year old. I didn't care for it at that time, but it smells wonderful now and is strong in the soap.

For EO blends, I sub Sandlewood EO, Rose otto, Vanilla absolute with their FO counterparts because they are expensive. For me, this is where top quality FOs from reputable suppliers comes into play. I've been happy with results. One thing I've noticed, tho. It often takes time for blends to mellow... like fine wine... allowed to age they peak down the road a few months... I recently soaped a blend that was a year old. I didn't care for it at that time, but it smells wonderful now and is strong in the soap.

May I ask where you got your Rose Otto FO?

I also swap expensive EOs with their FO counterparts. I have a Sandalwood, Vanilla, Lavender, and Sage blend where the Sandalwood and Vanilla are FOs.

Plus using FOs is a way to get around essential oils that might seize on you in soap - like clove. Or could be phototoxic if left on the skin - like most citrus.

Hi there, I have a base recipe that calls for 31g of fragrance. But I am wondering, is that the same quantity whether it is essential oil or fragrance oil? Or because EO's can be powerful is it a different quantity for different ones etc? I know safety is important but the bottles of Eo say 5 drops in a bath and I want to know how much to put in 1kg of cold process soap really. Anyone help please?

The Sage (www.thesage.com) and Brambleberry have fragrance calculators. You put in the essential oil or the fragrance, what you are making and how much and it will tell you how much fragrance to use. I admit, if I have (for example) Dragon's Blood from another vendor, I'll use the BB calculator to figure out how much to use.

Hi dixiedragon, I tried the BB fragrance calc on occasions but they don't have the same ones I have and each oil might have a different strength of Eo and carrier oil in it mightn't it anyway? It seems hard to nail quantities. I contacted the supplier who just said follow a recipe.

Anyone know what the IFRA class is for cold process soaps please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi dixiedragon, I tried the BB fragrance calc on occasions but they don't have the same ones I have and each oil might have a different strength of Eo and carrier oil in it mightn't it anyway? It seems hard to nail quantities. I contacted the supplier who just said follow a recipe.

Anyone know what the IFRA class is for cold process soaps please?

if you are using EO/FO from a reputable company there shouldn't be any carrier oils added.

If the company you are dealing with does not provide the IFRA usage rates I would find somewhere else to do business with.

The IFRA class is 9 for soap.

IFRA Category 9: Bar soap, bath gels, foams, mousses, salts, oils & other products added to bathwater, body washes, conditioner (rinse off), face cleansers, liquid soap, shampoo of all types, shaving creams of all types, aerosol air freshener sprays

Whomever you purchased the EO or FO through should have some safe use recommendations available on the website. Different EOs and FOs have different safe usage rates for various products.

I recently placed an ordered with a "reputable company." After receiving my order, it took 2 weeks to get a reply from them about usage rates. . . .

IFRA is great but fragrance manufacturers are not required to have all or any fragrances tested by them. It is a self regulating organization in the fragrance industry. I am not one to refuse to use a fragrance because it does not have an IFRA rating, but then I can be a bit of a rebel...I do use common sense and do not take a spicy or other irritating fragrance and use it at my normal 6-7%.

Just looking at IFRA category 9, there is A @ 20%, B at 40% and C at 40% and the recipe I use calls for 31g which is 3.1% of the oils in the recipe. Does this sound right please?

Back