In Shower Lotion Bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The recipe that I came up with for my In-shower Lotion Bar

Cocoa Butter 16.62 %
Coconut Oil 12.31 %
Emulsifying Wax 33.23 %
Meadow Foam Oil 9.85 %
Argan Oil 9.85 %
Mango Butter 16.62 %
01% preservative
02% essential oil

When I un-molded bars were soft, so I cleaned them up and let them sit for a day. When using right after the shower while wet, it gave a lotion like feel and nice light scent. Bar is nice and firm and no goop dries nicely. Skin felt wonderful and it sure has helped my alligator scaly legs big time. Any thoughts or suggested improvements would be welcome.
65.25 % Butters and Oils
33.23 % Emulsifier

Soaring1, no worries, everyone is being very helpful. Thanks so much for your recipe I am saving it in my bookmarks for reference. I am still awaiting my supplies and am getting very antsy!
So you used all ewax for the wax portion. I was going to use beeswax, or a combo of beeswax and ewax. I will be doing like IrishLass, the bar will stay in the shower, but not in direct spray. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I did just use all e-wax. All you can do is try different ways until you come on something you really like. I was looking at the emulsifying factor in the shower. I know where you are coming from on be antsy. All of us that has been bitten by the soapy bug and anything related to new things to try are right with you. My lotion bar is in the shower but no spray can get to it also

Cocoa Butter 16.62 %
Coconut Oil 12.31 %
Emulsifying Wax 33.23 %
Meadow Foam Oil 9.85 %
Argan Oil 9.85 %
Mango Butter 16.62 %
01% preservative
02% essential oil

I guess this means I hafta make my own? oooooooh kaaaaaay. :cry:
Thanks for sharing! :bunny:

Here's mine (it was inspired by Earthchild's recipe which she very generously shared over at the Dish a handful of years ago):

26.5% cocoa butter
26.5% kokum butter
15% Polawax
6.8% ButterEZ
5% mango butter
5% jojoba oil
5% virgin coconut oil
5% candelilla wax
3% cetyl alcohol
1% Phenonip
.7% Fragrance
.5% vitamin E T-50

It makes a nicely firm bar with excellent glide that holds up well in a dish that sits on the shelf of my shower door (out of direct spray). At the end of my shower (just before I turn the water off) I roll it around in my hands under the water like I would a bar of soap, place it back on its dish, then run my hands all over my arms and legs and lightly rinse.

IrishLass :)
Thankyou for the post IL. I do see you tweaked the original by Earthchild a bit. I am trying yours today with a couple of tweaks :) I can say one on Susan's blog does not work well at all, but maybe because I was not making it as a scrub

After use of my shower bar recipe, when the small batch is used up, I need to re-do my recipe to give me more moisturizing on my skin. Wondering if I can re-melt my few bars and redo them. Any thoughts?

The recipe that I came up with for my In-shower Lotion Bar

Cocoa Butter 16.62 %
Coconut Oil 12.31 %
Emulsifying Wax 33.23 %
Meadow Foam Oil 9.85 %
Argan Oil 9.85 %
Mango Butter 16.62 %
01% preservative
02% essential oil

When I un-molded bars were soft, so I cleaned them up and let them sit for a day. When using right after the shower while wet, it gave a lotion like feel and nice light scent. Bar is nice and firm and no goop dries nicely. Skin felt wonderful and it sure has helped my alligator scaly legs big time. Any thoughts or suggested improvements would be welcome.
65.25 % Butters and Oils
33.23 % Emulsifier

Yes, you can gently remelt and tweak. If you are using a heat sensitive preservative, the heating may inactivate the preservative, so be aware of that.

I personally would not sell or give "redos" to others, but for the purposes of product development and testing on myself, I have no problem with that.

Yes, you can gently remelt and tweak. If you are using a heat sensitive preservative, the heating may inactivate the preservative, so be aware of that.

I personally would not sell or give "redos" to others, but for the purposes of product development and testing on myself, I have no problem with that.

Thank you for your thoughts on this Dee Anna.

After use of my shower bar recipe, when the small batch is used up, I need to re-do my recipe to give me more moisturizing on my skin. Wondering if I can re-melt my few bars and redo them. Any thoughts?
One thought: Rebatch into 1 oz cavity mold, i.e., ice cube tray or guest size silicone mold, to make single-use size to carry into the shower with you. That way, you won't need the preservative.

Another thought: Play around with subbing the 33% Ewax with a mix of
1 cup baking soda (absorbs essential oils; water softener)
1 tablespoon cornstarch (for hardness; smoothness)
1/2 teaspoon salt (for hardness; exfoliate; less crumbly)
Add just enough to the oils & butters to hold the bar together. This might help to dissolve the oils/butters and rinse down the drain, leaving the shower floor less slippery. ??? Just a thought.

I've never tried this, but a looooong time ago a soaping buddy gave me a "shower melt" to rub on my skin after a shower. It left my skin feeling smooth and moisturized, and the shower floor wasn't slippery at all.

One thought: Rebatch into 1 oz cavity mold, i.e., ice cube tray or guest size silicone mold, to make single-use size to carry into the shower with you. That way, you won't need the preservative.

Another thought: Play around with subbing the 33% Ewax with a mix of
1 cup baking soda (absorbs essential oils; water softener)
1 tablespoon cornstarch (for hardness; smoothness)
1/2 teaspoon salt (for hardness; exfoliate; less crumbly)
Add just enough to the oils & butters to hold the bar together. This might help to dissolve the oils/butters and rinse down the drain, leaving the shower floor less slippery. ??? Just a thought.

I've never tried this, but a looooong time ago a soaping buddy gave me a "shower melt" to rub on my skin after a shower. It left my skin feeling smooth and moisturized, and the shower floor wasn't slippery at all.

This is interesting Zany. I will have to look into this further on % quantities, the little molds (which I have lots of) and storing. Thank you for the suggestion.

Here's mine (it was inspired by Earthchild's recipe which she very generously shared over at the Dish a handful of years ago):

26.5% cocoa butter
26.5% kokum butter
15% Polawax
6.8% ButterEZ
5% mango butter
5% jojoba oil
5% virgin coconut oil
5% candelilla wax
3% cetyl alcohol
1% Phenonip
.7% Fragrance
.5% vitamin E T-50

Hello Irish Lass,
I would like to make this lotion bar but I don't have - and cannot find in the UK - ButterEZ. Is is essential to use this? If not, what could I use instead?

I include the ButterEZ to help keep my butters from graining up over time in the final bars. It's not an absolutely essential ingredient- i.e., you can achieve the same thing if you take the needed time to temper your butters properly and cool them down quickly, and then more importantly make sure your finished bars aren't exposed to any further temperature differences during storage and/or transport that would cause them to partially melt and slowly cool (which causes graining). I like using the Butter EZ because it gives me the peace of mind knowing that any of my bars I might mail to my family across country won't be grainy because of temperature differences along the way.

Edited to add: if not using any ButterEZ, you can substitute it with one of the butters. ButterEZ feels a lot like shea butter.

I include the ButterEZ to help keep my butters from graining up over time in the final bars. It's not an absolutely essential ingredient- i.e., you can achieve the same thing if you take the needed time to temper your butters properly and cool them down quickly, and then more importantly make sure your finished bars aren't exposed to any further temperature differences during storage and/or transport that would cause them to partially melt and slowly cool (which causes graining). I like using the Butter EZ because it gives me the peace of mind knowing that any of my bars I might mail to my family across country won't be grainy because of temperature differences along the way.

Edited to add: if not using any ButterEZ, you can substitute it with one of the butters. ButterEZ feels a lot like shea butter.

Any suggestions about preventing temperature change while mailing the bars please? Thank you

It may not be practical to mail products like this for a reasonable cost when the weather is very warm. If cost is no object, then ship in an insulated container with a frozen "cold pack" inside.

Any suggestions about preventing temperature change while mailing the bars please? Thank you

The only suggestion I have is to use insulated mailers . Those found in the link are a bit of an investment, but you can rig up your own by lining your box with some styrofoam and ice packs. You can also save money by making your own ice packs out of water-storing gel crystals like these . As little as 1 tbsp. of the crystals will expand to 4 or 5 cups of hydrated gel when mixed with water. To use as an ice pack, just double-bag the hydrated gel in Ziploc freezer bags, or better yet, if you have one of those FoodSaver machines, seal them in FoodSaver bags, and then freeze them flat in your freezer. They work great.

The only suggestion I have is to use insulated mailers . Those found in the link are a bit of an investment, but you can rig up your own by lining your box with some styrofoam and ice packs. You can also save money by making your own ice packs out of water-storing gel crystals like these . As little as 1 tbsp. of the crystals will expand to 4 or 5 cups of hydrated gel when mixed with water. To use as an ice pack, just double-bag the hydrated gel in Ziploc freezer bags, or better yet, if you have one of those FoodSaver machines, seal them in FoodSaver bags, and then freeze them flat in your freezer. They work great.

I appreciate that, thank you.

Cant take much credit. This is from swiftcraftmonkey, it is her solid conditioning bar - but I took out the various proteins, silicones, and humectants. She says in her directions that you can just increase the BTMS-50 for everything you take out. :) I did not want to buy a bunch of stuff - so I reduced as much as I could. :D
I've been reviewing all my products for compliance with MOCRA. BTMS-50 has a restriction on usage based on the active ingredient Behentrimonium Methosulfate. I have a fabulous lotion bar but the BTMS-50 is way too high (like >70 % when allowable is more like 8%). I'm struggling with finding an ingredient combination that is MOCRA compliant and that doesn't leave the in-shower lotion bar waxy. Have you tried anything else besides BTMS?

Latest posts

Back