Lotion and Lip Balm basics/suggestions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

styarr

Reaction score
Hi friends!
Does anyone have any good resources for lotion and lip balm recipe formulations? I'm going to try my hand at lotion for the first time in attempt to make something for my mom for her birthday in a few months. Also lip balms, as I plan to make a whole bunch and donate them, I just need something simple for lip balms! I feel like when I google there are less authoritative websites popping up then say when I google soap making and get sites like Soap Queen etc.

Thanks in advance.

For lip balm recipes, I've not ever found a better site than the Majestic Mountain Sage blog: http://blog.thesage.com/category/lip-balms/ They have a whole slew of wonderful lip balm recipes, 5 of which have become favorites that I use on a regular basis.

SwiftCraftyMonkey is awesome for lotions.

IrishLass :)

thanks :) I'm really excited to play with recipes and donate some lip balms!

This is timely for me as I'm just starting to test lip balm. I really like the basic recipe from MMS. I took it into the city with me today and left it in my hot car (70F outside!). It softened but didn't liquefy. It's cooling off tonight so I'm curious to see how the shea acts with the temperature extremes.

As for lotion, the first recipe I used was the "Beginners Light Lotion" recipe from Aussie Soap Supplies (even thought I'm in the US). For some reason I found their instructions very approachable. My go-to recipe is still very similar to theirs.

you would find Humbleeandme very clear in the instruction and she does not use difficult to get ingredients, This is what I like about her. She is Canadian so whatever she uses in her lotions i am able to get too. She will give the supplier name also. I am considering to support her too, on patreon. So far I support Susan

thanks everyone! lots of reading too do! Canadian is a plus!

I made lotion! I used swiftcraftymonkey's basic lotion and instructions (thanks for that link!), used canola and shea, just a simple and small recipe to try it out! Still waiting on lip balm supplies to arrive and some other oils to try in lotions.
Thanks everyone!
(ignore my messy counter and the random bath bombs in the background haha!)

1st lotion.jpg

Back