Making a cleaning soap with oxilac acid

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdaniels8811

Reaction score
So oxilac acid is Barkeepers Friend, a great non scratchy powder. I was thinking of taking some of my shredded 100% coconut oil soap that I use for laundry soap and mixing it with a bit of water and oxilac acid and putting it in low profile jars for a tub cleaner, especially after using bath bombs which can occasionally stain the tub (especially if there was a soap scum there to begin with). I hope to get to experiment with this ideas today. Any thoughts? I would like to get it to a thick cream consistency. Wish me luck!

I honestly don't think this will work, because soap, an alkaline product, and acids don't play well together. Acid breaks soap into fatty acids, and fatty acids don't clean well.

I wouldn't use oxalic acid as a regular product for cleaning. It's purpose in Barkeeper's Friend is to remove rust stains in general and tannin stains on wood. I personally would use just soap with a soft scrubby and perhaps some fine pumice if you want more abrasion.

But no harm in trying and learning one way or the other. Have fun!

Oxalic acid also repassivates stainless steel. I use it almost exclusively for cleaning stainless sinks, pots and pans, and kegs. It does a good job on copper bottoms as well, if you have any.

Latest posts

Back