Asking for ideas for a bold swirl technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did two batches using the drop pour technique although I didn't use a "man bar" design concept for these batches. I needed to make batches of a more unisex type soap to restock my inventory at our local art center's gift shop, so I figured I'd use them for practice.

I got results vaguely something like the Sweet Sugared Apple soap and Newbie's brown and tan "man bar" -- bold layered swoops and teardrops.

One tip to get this look is to start pouring when the soap is at a thin gravy consistency. If the batter is too thin, the batter sinks too easily and the pours become thinner and wispy. But waiting to pour until the batter is thicker than this means the batter might be overly thick and gloppy at the end.

The other tips -- pour a generous amount of colored batter for each drop and try to pour it right over the previous line. Of course I couldn't see the previous line of batter since it usually sunk below the base soap, so I had to use my imagination a lot.

P1030003 800.jpg

Those are cheerful looking soaps! I love the colors and bold round swirls.

Thanks, Millie. I like the lavender version better than the yellow one. I can't quite put my finger on exactly why. Maybe there's more of a lively swirly-ness going on in the lavender one. And maybe I should have put a little titanium dioxide in the white base soap to sharpen the contrast between the yellow and white.

Thanks Carolyn! DeeAnna these look great! My drop swirls never turn out this nice. Or maybe I get one bar that I really like and the rest are ugly lol! Love your color choices too.

Wow! BlackDog and DeeAnna's soaps are amazing!
The black and white really pops out! And the simple design is what makes it amazing!
And DeeAnna's color combo are interesting! Very cute soaps indeed! ;)

Latest posts

Back